I felt really really really bad.......

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by s14hayame, Dec 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

How long did the pet shop have the Acropora in their tank? Under what type of lighting?
    It is possible that lighting is being underachieved, or too much intensity fluxuations stressing the Acropora. It looks like bleaching to me. Iodine supplementation may possibly help. If you continue to see unfavorable conditions and the Acropora continues to bleach farther than it is right now, try fragging the mother colony, only breaking off the parts with the zooxanthellae/healthy tissue!

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

10-15 drops of iodine into a quart of tank water is what I would use and I'd dip the coral for about 15-20 minutes.

Make sure you touch the flesh of the coral as little as possible when you're fragging it. Also, you're better off snapping off a bunch of small frags rather than trying to get long ones. The further away from the bleaching you frag, the better off the frags will be. If you've got a pair of dikes or bone cutters, you can use them to cut a few frags off.

4. s14hayame

s14hayame Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i go a closer look at it after i put it in my tank the flesh is coming off....its not bleaching :(. ill probably going to frag it tomorrow ill take some pics after fragging.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sounds like it's RTN-ing. I'm not sure that you should wait until tomorrow to frag it. It's not called "rapid" tissue necrosis for nothing :(

6. rosereef

rosereef Astrea Snail

Hmmm the green reminds me of a coral I saw on one site that died from a boring algae........A Total Loss
    I am prob wrong since I am very new to reef care, just wanted to mention it sorta looked like it

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

there is no guarantee that fragging a healthy part will survive. If it has RTN, it's done.