I felt really really really bad.......

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by s14hayame, Dec 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. s14hayame

s14hayame Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i started a thread alittle while ago about my sps frag's tips were turning white, good news is that the frag is doing good "so far::) " stop fading on the tips. now the bad news is i went to visit the lfs where i got the frag from the mother colony is dieing :( half of it turned white within the next few days after the frag.... now only half of it is left is still alive. i felt really bad cause if i didnt talk the owner into fragging it is would have been fine. so being that its my fault that the mother colony is dieing, i decided to buy it of course at a very cheap price and if it die off competely i dont have to pay :). heres a picture of it, will it make a comeback ??? should it cut off the dieing or dead pieces??? please help me and give me some suggestion guys thank you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I think this is a case of 2 + 2 = 5

I've never had a mother colony bleach after fragging it so I don't think this is your fault.

Is there still tissue on the white side or is it dieing off? Basically, I'm asking if this was merely a bleaching event or RTN.

If it's bleaching, it's not going to get much food from photosynthesis so target feeding is a good idea (Golden Pearls, Oyster Eggs, etc). If the tissue is/has been decaying, remove the portion that is RTN'ing.

4. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

:-/

sorry, i always tend to catch the typos...

5. s14hayame

lol oops ill fix that :D.

i cant really tell if it is bleaching.....:( and theres no brown jelly stuff all over it, can u guys give me a hint on what to look for, this is my first sps piece.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I don't have a clue how to describe this. I just know it when I see it.

My best advice would be to compare the white portion with the brown portion. If there's no difference other than coloration, it's bleached. If there's a difference in tissue, it may be RTN'ing.

7. s14hayame

hmmm the white pieces looks the same as those thats with color the skelaton dont seem like it is deforming but some part of the colored section tip seems deformed..... if u look closely the tallest branch's tips is out of shape compare to the others.... would the be rtn'ing with soft corals its easy to tell but sps dont have that much tissue....

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's probably just bleaching then.

10. s14hayame

ok ill just keep the white pieces in the tank too then hoping it will make a come back.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

well I'd snap off a few healthy pieces and frag them onto a new rock then iodine dip them to try and keep some Since its not clear if it RTN or bleaching when you fragged it did it start to turn white in the areas you maybe held or touched it ? Was their any flesh actually lifting up off the skeleton in sheets or bubbles ? Like a sunburn peel on a human ? Or did it just basically turn off white . I'd sanp and frag it fast times a wasting as is the coral Also if you look closley on the right sode of the branches its green alga on it that makes it toast IMO snap dip and try to save some of it.

12. s14hayame

ok on the iodine dipping how much should i put in a quart of water i dont want to over dose it