I Don't Want Sand. I dont Want Clear Bottom. What else?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Fishnthecorner, Jan 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

We've run acrylic setups for years with no problems...what you have to do is get rid of the magnet cleaner OR only use them above the substrate line. I use a regular old "acrylic grade" scrubber pad, but I hang one finger below the pad, as a "guide" so I don't put the pad into the substrate. Then, to clean down to the substrate, I use a plastic scraper (only scrape downward).

As far as substrate is concerned, we use #3 or #1 grade aragonite.

HTH

2. Click Here!

3. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

florida crushed sea shells its very cool you can get it [​IMG]at petsmart heres a photo of what it looks like

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

That might be whats causing your algae problem. That will build up waay to much detritus, especially with the low flow in your tank.

5. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

i use this in my nano tank, not the tank thats having the problem in that tank i use sand

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Anything can be a detritus trap or nitrate factory if not properly maintained. With occasional vacuuming, any substrate can be used, including crushed shells.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

dude with all do respect! you're using tap water for your top offs and water changes and wonderig why ya have a cyano algae problem! Might be time to listen to some of the pro's on here! it may save ya a ton of cash and time! i made alot of mistakes too! and learned from these guys! i'd take these guys advice! read and research and make your own decisions for sure, but don't argue when you're still using tap water! IMO!

8. Click Here!

9. Fishnthecorner

Fishnthecorner Flamingo Tongue

good suggestions. Thanks. I'm also wondering, is it ok to just have about 1/4"-1/2" sand bed? Or, if you use sand at all, it needs to be at least 2"-4"?

10. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

Imo it only has to be deepish if u want gobys and other animals like gobies

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

dude come on! repeat! read a few posts up!

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

@fishnthiecorner i'd listen to the experts on this! PM them if you don't get the response you like! I'm sure any of them will be glad to help you out! Mr. bill is a great start! sorry for that Mr. Bill!lol