I desperate need of help to build an overflow

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by jesse94954, Sep 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jesse94954

jesse94954 Fire Worm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jesse, I am finally getting back into the hobby after a two year hiatus. So I recently picked up a used 160 gallon tank. It turns out that the guy that had it before me drilled three holes into the bottom of the tank. Why? I have no clue.

But my dilemma is that I am trying to figure out how to utilize and build an overflow for my sump underneath. I have been wracking my brain for the last month on what to do, but sadly I am still drawing a blank. If anyone has any ideas of the best way to go about using the existing holes that have been drilled into the bottom of the tank that would great.

I am attaching photos so that you can see the holes and what I am working with.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

That is pretty odd placement for the two larger holes. Did you ask the person you bought it from what they had in mind for those holes?

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The only reason to drill holes like that is for a closed loop system which is purely for flow.Not to feed a sump.You would need to build 2 weirs (or one big one)in the middle of the tank to use those holes to feed the sump.

5. Vinnyboombatz

6. Vinnyboombatz

From the look of it and the fact the bottom glass is not tempered it may be a home made Aquarium which would make me nervous.Is there a brace on the top in the middle?Any stickers indicating a brand?

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Vin, not to differ but it loloks acrylic to me?

I agree on the closed loop most likely.

So more research, lots of options.

8. Click Here!

9. jesse94954

jesse94954 Fire Worm

Thank you everyone

I emailed the last owner and he did confirmed it was used as close loop system and it is not a home made aquarium. There are 3 braces on top of the tank. One big one in middle of the tank right above the middle home and two on the side right above the other 2 holes. Insteed of useing these holes what would you think about if i was seal all three holes and drill two more in back the tank. Here are some of shite photoshop skills lol

What you guys think or if anyone else have any other ideas

Attached Files:

10. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

sell the one you have and put that towards a new tank. Not worth the hassle and risk if you ask me.

12. Vinnyboombatz

I am a very cautious person so I wouldn't sleep much at night with a used tank in the first place but others have patched holes in aquariums using either bulkheads or glass.I would recommend at least 1\4 inch glass (3\8 or thicker even better) and be sure it extends at least 4" around the holes. Patching from the inside of course.