I cut my live rock in half and you wouldn't believe what I found

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by CODEE111, Apr 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

It didn't do anything bad to my tank. I have cut more since and have them in my big and small tank....I only have a few pieces left that I am waiting to add to the main tank. I had heard that adding too much rock at once would upset the tank. I'm not sure if that is true or not so I add a piece or two every week until I am finished. I only have 2 bigger pieces left and I will be done adding until I get more.

I did notice that the piece I forgot to rinse left the water really cloudy and I was gonna do a water change until I realized that tiny pieces of rocks are sand right. It took several hours to get the water clear again.....but everyone survived it and I have added more cut rock since with no bad effects on the inhabitants.

2. Click Here!

3. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm

Is there video of this :devilish:

Why would it be a bad thing?

4. CODEE111

There should have been a video of it. The crab got lucky I didn't stomp on him cause I really thought he was a spider then it dawned on me, he came out of water....DUH!:juggle2:

5. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

you may release some stuff into the water that wasn't an issue before also bacteria blooms, maybe higher nitrates, low oxygen bacteria live deep in the pores of lr they r release into high oxygen and die disrutbing the biofilter process adding more waste to ur system i dont kno

6. CODEE111

I wasn't sure if it would work either and I told my coral/fish/rock guy that I cut my rocks up and he didn't know I could do it either. Has anyone else cut up large rocks for their tanks? I was really surprised how much of the rock turned into rubble when he finished.....but still looks cool and I'll post pics when I get home.

7. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

I acually just cut my lr into better shapes and now i am having a algae bloom :( Have not had a chance to test it but i bet i released nitrates into the water.

8. Click Here!

9. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm

You're supposed to rinse it in fresh salt water before you put it in ::)

10. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

Well i know now. Haha learn something new everyday.

11. CODEE111

Here's a few pictures of my rocks I cut up. The long one with the shelf on the far left is one of them. I stuck my Frogspawn into the holes of the rock.

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

invisible pics?:p