I bought a ball python....

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by greebs, Nov 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

As some of you already know, I have been disputing what to do with my 55 gallon tank for quite some time. I have come up with many cool ideas, but found that all of them were a bit out of my budget. While at PetWorld, I was talking to a guy about my situation. He asked if I would consider getting something else besides fish. I considered it and he showed me around the reptile/amphibian section and I fell in love with ball python. I set the whole tank up, including the ball python (ball python was 50% off because of a special) for less than 150 bucks. I'll probably put another 50 bucks in it for plants. It only has to eat every 2 weeks, so food cost is not an issue. I love him/her already(still can't tell lol).

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

feed him well , someday he will make a fine looking belt .. or maybe a pair of boots ?

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Good luck! Those suckers get mean as heck. And that 55 won't even last it a year. You'll be best off building an enclosure.

5. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

They don't get long, but they do get thick as #%#%. They are nice snakes, I had one for ten years, befour I sold it.

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Wait Pack, you know he said BALL python, not Bermise or Reticulated or something, right? Ball pythons only get about 4 or 5 feet long, and about 4 or 5 inches in diameter if they're super fatties. You could keep a fully grown adult ball python in a 20 or 30 gallon.

greebs, your guy (or girl) will love a 55. That's a lot of room for a ball python, but the more the merrier :) I wanted a BP when I was younger, but my mom wouldn't let me get one because of the whole mouse eating thing. She won't even be in the room if/when I give our mantis a crab. So I settled for an Emerald Green snake that ate feeder fish and crickets. He lasted only about a year and a half. I still don't know what caused him to die. Anyways, no my roommate is Tina the Leopard gecko who I've had for years now. She's cheap, and all she does is eat, sleep, poop, and come up to the glass and stare at me until I give her food :lol:

7. captscott

captscott Astrea Snail

Good looking snake!

I had one for 5+ years in a 55. Never got mean or too big. Just handle it on a regular basis. Ball pythons are arguably the most doscile of the domesticated snakes and quite easy to care for. Enjoy!

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Better yet, get multiple people, including "strangers" to handle it regularly. Getting it used to people (and not just family, but humans in general) while it's young will make all the difference in the world. I had a friend growing up who had a ball python and we'd get it out and let it explore on and near us while watching tv. That was a good snake right there. :) Plus, the TN Aquarium uses a ball python to represent the snake community to humans. He's a good one too. Kind of a weirdo, he's one of the more active and curious snakes I've met. So he likes to go on his own little adventures, which usually result in him going under your arm and on top of your head, and then to any furniture that's close :lol:

10. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

I used to have 2 ball pythons, Garth & Xaviour

now i have this baby.
    my california king :)

Shell sleep in my pocket, and i take her for walks outside :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

I would also consider you buying bedding called "carefresh"

[​IMG]

Its bedding that people also use for like rabbits, ferrets, chinchillas, etc.

It keeps the snake real clean, and keeps the oder away, the snakes also like it cause its real easy for them to bury themselves in, not to mention it keeps them warm.

12. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

I had a calfo king, they are pretty nice, some how mine got out though and I never found him. :cry: