I bleached all my Acros **Conclusion**

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Dyonopses1, Dec 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

Thanks Corailline. Maybe I will try a PM.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

It is obvious that Marine Depot handled the recall as they should have. Why they did not call everyone who purchased is probably more due to the where volume of the product that was sold and the fact that Kent asked for a list of customers. I am however positive that they pulled all of the recalled product off their shelves when notified of the recall. In all my years the only retail outlet that has ever contacted me about a manufactures recall is Costco. That is more likely that Costco does not release their member's info to anyone.

You have to realize just how big Marine Depot is to understand just how much business they do. I believe they ship nearly 2 40' trailers via UPS per day. I would not be surprised if they sold thousands of that batch of carbon. Unlike LFS's at least they were able to let Kent know who they sold each jar to. I suspect that Kent may not have notified end users of the problem because it only affected reefs witch is the vast minority of the saltwater hobby. Rather that here from thousands of hobbyists they would in turn hear about it from a couple hundred or so.

Keep in mind that what I have stated is not fact but just an educated guess of how it all went down. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My friend lost all his SPS due to this carbon.

4. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

I respect you Carol but I disagree. You might feel different if you were looking at a white Christmas INSIDE aquarium during the holidays. With the data base and IST team they have (being such a large company as you pointed out) it would have been a snap sending out a mass email to all effected customers. And as far as having to hear from a bunch of customers (large volume) who might not be directly affected, F*** ****! These are my pets and I get emotionally attached. Stop trying to cover for them. This was poor customer service IMO. What would people say if hundreds of family dogs or cats were going to be needlessly killed? ....Happy New Year :-(

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I understand you are upset but it was Kent's responsibility to contact you just like any manufacturer who issues a recall. I'm just saying you anger is misdirected. Central Pet owns Kent and they were responsible for contacting you. Once again sorry for your losses.

6. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'd agree that it was Kent Marine's responsibility to contact customers and Marine Depot did what was required.

Yet, what makes a company stand out and build loyal customer base is a little extra effort and care they show when dealing with their customers. Sending out an email to affected customer of theirs (even with a noreply type address) would have been so easy. If it was my business, i would not think twice about that.

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Have you tried contacting Kent? They are the ones that are ultimately responsible.

8. Click Here!

9. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

Kent is closed for the holidays. I will try tomorrow. I understand it was the Kent's responsibility. I just talking about common courtesy and what I expect from the company I spend so much money with. I will be finding a new company to purchase from.

10. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

Marine depot may have done what was "required" but I won't order from them now. Going the extra mile beyond what's required may cost them time and money, but they would have been rewarded with loyal customers even if it's ultimately Kent's fault.

11. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I actually used to write and negotiate supplier contracts, though in another business. For what it's worth, they may not be able to comment. As for the blame, the responsibility for selling a faulty product lies first ith the manufacturer, but the distributor bears responsibility as well (there are a whole host of variables that could change that, I've given the simple version).

If it was me, I'd be livid and I feel terrible that this happened to anyone. There are several reasons their hands may be tied however.

12. RMcKellips

RMcKellips Plankton