I am throwing in the towel. (12/10/14)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Kevin_E, Sep 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I will share with you my freshwater experience with the dreaded bloom and also the dreaded greenwater bloom. I was completely frustrated and ready to ditch the whole tank. Water changes for me did nothing. I ended up doing what Servillius mentioned exactly. I bout the Green Machine UV sterilizer very cheap compared to the rest. Like mentioned, it will not control parasites but boy did it clear the bloom. After several days a dramatic improvement and said it can't get any clearer, then after 10 days it was like sparkling. I was amazed. this is with 2 giant goldfish in a 55 gallon that produce more waste than you care to experience. If I were you I would certianly try it.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. Whish I knew the cause.

Maybe I'll try and increase my skimmer's performance. It hasn't been pulling much as I lowered the water level.

What gets me is that it happened after I dropped my phosphate to zero wile trying to curb a budding hair algae issue on my pumps.

It cleared up quite a bit, but still a bit milky. It does this in spurts.

Any idea as to causes here?

Haven't ruled it out, but haven't had an issue with it before. No equip changes.

Yep. Sounds like mine. I would like to identify the why. Surely it's not nutrients. Those bottomed out at zero and caused the pale coral you see. The haze doesn't come through in pics.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'm thinking since the tank has no sand it's pretty sterile and the bacteria is out of balance. The one reason I haven't gone bare bottom yet is because of this reason. I want to know more before I go bare bottom so I can avoid possible disasters. I'm really getting tired of the sand bed though.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Wonder if I should go back to sand then.

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

My guess is that one of the lessons is that drastic changes can cause major problems. I think your tank should be good either with our without sand eventually. I suggest getting your current problem under control before making even minor changes. It takes time for your tank to reach equilibrium.

mdbostwick likes this.
  7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

True, but how long? This has been ongoing for months. I don't know what to do.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

My main point is that if you are going to make a change, to do it gradually. It takes time for a tank to reach equilibrium.
    Have you considered the UV as others have suggested? Seems like they recognize the signs.

How long after/before you took out the sand did the cloudiness start? Was that the only change that occurred around that time? I think you will solve this problem. It may even go away on its own and may not know what caused it or what cured it. The thing you don't want is to aggrivate it or cause some other complication. If it was me, I'd try the UV and give it some time. As far as the minor bleaching, as coriallline pointed out, some regular feeding is worth a try. If you do try to add sand, make sure it's been well cycled, and add a small amount at a time and observe.

SAW39 likes this.
  10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

You know, they say when the tests read zero, it may not be zero. The nutirents may be all taken up by the 'bloom' (if it is one), and giving a kinda false reading.

Stay the course, good luck, it'll clear up, I can feel it.

Todd;)

Billme likes this.
  11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

+1^^
    Speaking of carbon dosing, (OK may not seem related), the point of carbon dosing is to encourage bacteria to increase, there by taking up the extra nutrients. The bacteria then end up in the skimmer cup. If your skimmer isn't working properly, you may be missing a good opportunity to solve the problem.

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I don't think so kevin. It's a point of figuring out that balance and your at the point where it's just frustrating. I would try the uv first before anything else.