hyposalinity (update sick fish)

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by chris adams, Apr 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. special juice

special juice Feather Duster

I think you are taking the right course of action. It seems as though you are doing everything in your power to save the male. I am hoping that it all works out. Best wishes.

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Anyone have any idea of how long to keep the fish in the hypo-salinty level?

4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Well unfortunately the male ended up dieing overnight. Still not positive what the exact disease was. Color was still decent.. popeye was an issue but what was the underlying cause of that is unknown. I believe the ich was stress related but could have assisted in the passing.

3 Females are still doing well and eating and darting all over the place. Will probably keep tank in hypo for another week or so (unless others have opinion for longer).

Will gradually bring SG up over the next few weeks after that.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

6. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Sorry for your loss. I've never really had any luck medicating fish. Wish I did would of saved me hundreds I'm sure.

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Ya medicating is real hit or miss and mostly miss in my opinion. I wish I had started hypo earlier but not sure that would have been any better.

I figured I would lose him so really my main focus has been keeping the females healthy.

So basically have been feeding a couple times a day different foods with garlic-x, used medicine for bacterial/fungal issues, and running hypo. That alone could have added to the stress of the male. I literally would have to put baster right in front of his face and he did eat but not as much as he should have.

In this hobby you are destined to lose fish.

I was reading that when a male anthias dies 1 of the females transitions to male but I need to verify that with a little more research.

I have to get these through QT before making decision on getting another male so have about a month or so to research