Hydroids

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Ishymishy77, Jun 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I'll try to get a better one today. I have before, but they didn't really show well.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hydriods
    Yes had some terrible experience with them, had to sit on a rubber ring for a few days

Steve

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

You think that's bad? In the days of diving in wet suits, these damned things just LOVED to congregate around a certain area. Let's just say the front of the rubber ring!

Trust me, you'd pray for crabs. They're so beautiful in the tank on the glass, but they're stinging celled nematycysts. If only I could collect a few thousand in a jar, I'd have my revenge, I tell ya!!!

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Oh man, grabbing the wrong mooring line and getting sea lice in the good ole 5mm glove, NOT fun. I'm not even sure if they were sea lice. The way they jumped onto my wetsuit and went straight for the gap between glove and suit...it's like I've seen it any a movie before...:D Nevertheless my dive buddy merely hovers there laughing at me as I rip off my glove and frantically try to brush the little buggers off every where I could.

And we still see the occassional hydroid sometime. But we've only had one mass invasion of hydroids before, and it happened in the beginning of our tank's life. I haven't seen one in several months it feels like.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

OK, I know what they are but their name ALWAYS escapes me. I've sent a link to Curt (inwall) who can hopefully chime in soon.

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

pseudocorynactis

They are harmless in my experience. Sometimes they are called ball anemones or ball mushrooms or ball corallimorphs

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Will they reproduce un checked? I had a couple, now I have a lot. At least they are harmless.