Hydroids

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Ishymishy77, Jun 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

Cool, thanks. One more question. Among all of the hydroids, I spotted a couple others that are either brown flatworms or isopods. They are very simialar in shape and really small so I am having trouble making a positive ID. Anyway to tell the difference?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Isopods should appear to be segmented but flatworms are not. Does that help?

4. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

these are not segmented i looked up this site and found a really good pic Melevsreef.com - Flatworm is this little bugger harmful?

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

They will multiply and should be taken care of with Salifert Flatworm eXit, according to the instructions.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So what Hydroids are bad. I have a bunch. They are more clear though than brown, with white tips.

7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

[​IMG]

If you are talking about these hydroids, they are essentially harmless. Is your tank newer? We had a TON of these on our glass and floating in the water for about a week, and eventually they just die away completely. The best you can do is magfloat them off the glass to improve the looks of the aquarium while they are there, but all you can really do is wait it out and wait for them to go away.

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

6 months and I still see these every now and then....more less than often....
    Danny

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

If they're the ones in the pic posted by =Jwin=, I had them in the beginning too. I thought they were beautiful. Their population is fleeting, though. Here today, gone in a month or two. They're harmless, won't cause any changes in your chemistry or livestock. Enjoy them for now. They shall pass.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

They look like little anenomes. Clear, spread out like a flower, white tipe. They live on my rock. My tank is a year and a half old. I had a few, now I have a lot. I have never noticed them doing any harm. One is growing right next to my mushroom. I'm just curious since theie population seems to have taken off. I though my asterinas were cute too now I have hundreds.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Might be small bleached aiptasia. Can you post a picture?