Hydroids? Feather worms? Aiptasia?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Redd, Mar 28, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

What makes you think this? I want to start recognizing what all the pests look like, and I am curious what you can see that leads you to think this...

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Heres a pretty good picture of them.There are several different types but they all look similar.Water quality is the biggest issue.If they are spreading increased maintenance is suggested.Aptasia x will kill them but if there are alot it will be an uphill battle.
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2130674

Hi Cheryl!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrinbounce:

Redd likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi Vinny. :biglaugh:

Hydroid of that type look like little tuffs, tiny palm tree shape. A feather duster is going to have some type of tube be it calcium or rubble particles, a duster needs a base, Hydroids grow right on the surface of rock and.......

Redd likes this.
  5. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

Yeah, I saw this yesterday in my research on the matter, If it's truly them and they require manual removal I'm seriously, seriously screwed. I estimate that 45% of my rock (17lbs) is covered to some degree.

6. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

Thanks Coralline, that's a very good description of what I have observed.. Hopefully through enough WCs they fade on their own.

7. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

I'm certain I've had PO4s since Day 1. This tank build started on Feb 1, with the cycle completing on Feb 20. Ever since then, algae and Bac., almost any kind. Bryopsis, GHA, Dinos, Cyano, Green film. I do weekly, 14% WCs with LFS - RO/DI water. I have never bothered to ask if they check their PO4s in the water, out of etiquette... This may change.

I have also read that PO4 can leach out of rocks & sand. I feed 1 single snowflake clown 1 pellet at a time until he is uninterested. There's no way I'm over feeding. After all of the research, I think I'm experiencing typical "new tank symptoms" with the algae blooms. I have a skimmer, running an ATO, carbon, floss, upgraged the stock pump in the Coralife BC29s to a MJ1200 ,and added a 425gph Korallia nano head. NO3 is 0.00 and I haven't bothered testing for PO4 because I know I have it and the tests are unrealiable themselves.

Rant over, I have however, taken a chance with "Thrive" Lanthanum PO4 remover and dosed at the suggest "not tested for PO4" rate of 1ml in 1gal of top-off H2O. I should start a new thread on that.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

The leaching of nutrients happens very quickly. Once they esbalishe an equiibrium it stops. The whole key to success here is to export more then you import. Fish are dirty animals. It is imperative to keep a low bioload to get ahead . The lower the bioload the less problems you will have. Larger loads turn the tank into a chore instead of a hobby. The best,simplest, and cheapest method for controlling nutrients is an ATS ime. Also buying your own RODI system is the only way to ensure you are not chasing your tail with wc's.

DSC reef likes this.
  10. Vinnyboombatz

11. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

RO/DI is next on the list. I'm a little too much of a novice to get an ATS together in any short order, and low on space to boot. Chasing of the tail continues....

DSC reef likes this.
  12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I agree with Vinny