Hydrogen fuel cell car! HAHA!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Ryland, May 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ghut300zx

ghut300zx Skunk Shrimp

good concept but doesnt seem all that great to me.

2. Click Here!

3. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

Well we can artificially create hydrogen...not so easy for gasoline.

4. ghut300zx

ghut300zx Skunk Shrimp

true and our planet IS covered with water... it would make more sense to just put batteries in cars and have a big fuel cell at the gas station.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Just go to the "station" to charge up the car while on a trip. Having them at hotels would be convenient. lol.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, then you run into the problems associated with charging batteries quickly. We can hold enough energy in a car to go 50+ miles, but the batteries would need to be charged for many-hour (6+) stretches, rather than the 2-3 minutes at a station. The hotel isn't the problem, it's that station.

I really like the idea of having one fuel cell at the station to charge cars for being original and creative, but it almost doesn't make sense. Gas stations typically have access to the power grid, so why not just draw it from there? The only places where it makes sense technologically are super rural, but they don't get enough business to afford the cost.

7. ghut300zx

ghut300zx Skunk Shrimp

gasoline it is then

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

You do not store any hydrogen. Your hydrogen is instantly pushed into the motor and burned off. There is no way to store hydrogen. Scientists the world over are working on this to no avail. Kinda like growing morel mushrooms. We know its real...just dont have the know how to do it.;D

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

We have ways of storing it, just not at a high enough density to be worthwhile for cars at this point.

11. ghut300zx

ghut300zx Skunk Shrimp

they can store it in a regular industrial cylinder...

12. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I am not replacing. I am adding. Gasoline is still vital to the system. All I am doing is adding efficiency.