Hydrogen fuel cell car! HAHA!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Ryland, May 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I'm all down for it. The Plasma has been a little tricky to contain though.;)

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Dude... calm down.. take a breath. We have enough off peak power to do what we want with it... we can use it to make hydrogen if you so desire. I thought that was implied.:(

But then we go to the other problems with hydrogen. Infrastructure and distribution. Safety and then how much hydrogen you can put on board and how far you are going to be able to go on that. Same ball park as batteries right now.... However.... if we are going to invest in fundamentally restructuring our transportation fuel source.... why not get the most bang for the buck. You have to look at the whole process... cradel to grave.

A internal combustion engine is a very very inefficient machine. Only about 20-30 percent of the energy you put in comes out as motion.... one reason hydrogen is such a poor choice. Negative process to produce going into a very inefficient machine.... electricity is a much better way to transmit and use energy... but we have a problem with batteries right now... however we already have the infrastructure to support it and the capacity.

Fine... use the off peak power to power H2 generation stations.... we have infrastructure to build to distribute it. We have safety problems and then in the end we have produced a low density source with limited range. So you have to store it highly pressurized which adds other safety problems, and you have to use more power to compress it.

One idea is using compressed air.... simply use electricity to run compressors, then run it through an opposite compressor, an engine for the return... but same problem as hydrogen and batteries... you have to store it in such a highly compressed tank that is is pretty much useless in vehicles they have designed so far with very short ranges.

There are so many ways to make something move... doing it on an economically practical, usefull, and wide spread application is another ball game entirely. There are no free lunches. The reason we are paying $4 a gallon right now is because even at that oil is still an excellent we to do it with not as many problems... other than one day it will be gone and $20 a gallon before it goes.

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Isnt the magnetic field from the reaction of plasma what the high speed train in Toyko uses for motion I could be wrong?

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Actually, I thought plasma is the 4th state. it has the highest energy level.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

When the days of $20 per gallon gasoline come, hydrogen is going to take over as the main energy storage mechanism, not batteries.

7. leighton1245

Natural Plasma is the highest level of energy and are very hot something like 36032 degree F to hot to handle lol They actually use artifical plasmas in our T5's and Plasma tvs. They use a vacuum to seal them in there at and when we turn them on it lights up and a low temp. ;D I watch way to much discovery channel lol

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I have been silently reading all of these conversations. I like this plasma stuff because correct me if I am wrong but isnt that nothing more than carbon? So in theory it would be infinite? Im gettin the drawing board out. Powerman and Alpha whats going to happen when I start pumping plasma into my little experimental 1 liter motor in my garage?

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

It would melt down? Plasma is pretty much a super heated gas like in excess of 20000 degs

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

11. leighton1245

In bold is your answer it will never happen there isnt a container on this earth that will hold natural plasma. But artifical is a whole different story because normally its vacuum sealed but its very usable with low energy to make it.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  12. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

So too much heat is the problem.