Hydrogen fuel cell car! HAHA!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Ryland, May 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I don't know why they're locked. The only greed I see comes from the oil companies.

As far as choosing my energy, I drive a hybrid (Honda CR-Z), and if I had the cash (and lived in SoCal, where they're available), I would gladly be leasing a Honda FCX.

As for 100% open and fair competition, everyone here knows the market doesn't, and has never, truly worked that way, and to say it actually has is pretty well blind to the course of history. Monopolies and entrenched interests are always pulling against progress, as it doesn't suit their bottom line if they're not the ones investing in that upcoming industry.

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Thats a neat car and great MPG but i would hate get in a wreak with that thing dang: According to a New York Times article in 2005, Andy Boyd, a spokesman of Honda, was quoted that the FCX's estimated expense ($1 million to $2 million) is based on "the cost of body and powertrain, and also the experimental nature of some key components, like the fuel cell itself."

In the US there is 22 stations where you can get hydrogen in 2 forms one of which the h2 that they are still having issues with storing.

4. blackraven1425

I doubt it still costs between $1 and $2 million; they've been making them for a bit longer now than they were in 2005. I also just mentioned how the "cost" argument almost doesn't apply when you're talking about parts like a fuel cell that are built by hand as one-off productions rather than on an assembly line. They'll be much cheaper if the raw manpower required to manufacture them is reduced via automation and mass production, and the actual fuel cell technology is matured to the point where they don't require gallium and other relatively rare materials.

That's exactly what happened with batteries, in particular rechargeables. We first had lead-acid batteries, then nickel-cadmium, a few others, and lithium. Nickel and cadmium, while not the most expensive materials, are far more expensive than the lithium used in modern battery designs, and thus has a lower floor price than NiCd.

5. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Give me a brand new Cvcc at 55 -60 mpg. Make if EFI, and WOW - I would bet 80 mpg. And still safer then my Harley. :)

Anyone remember the 70's?

Can't be done? It's already been done.

6. leighton1245

That was the cost for the model that you can lease right now at $600 a month I was just saying I would be crazy afraid to drive it any place that that price lol You are very correct if they can bring the cost down by mass producing them and installing copious amount of stations and figure out if they are going to use the liquid of gas hydrogen then I think we will see lost of these cars but there again we go back to a fuel that has be made or refined for the public to use. Ill stick with cycling to work 3 times a week and drive my car that gets 12mpg at WOT the other days :)

You could almost retofit a cvcc with MPI from like a 91 accord? lol

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Yes, but it takes more electricity to make the hydrogen than the energy you get out of the hydrogen you make. That is the big barrier to any meaningful talk of H2. Getting it from natural gas is not a viable alternative for transportation. If at some point some one comes up with a cheap way to liberate it chemically with some unknown process we don't know of yet... then the conversation could at least continue.... but then we have to deal with all the other problems.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

Jeez, that's exactly what I said before a few times...

10. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Powerman- that is why I made mention to plasma previously- it is free energy- and has no limit. Implementation is the key.

11. leighton1245

Just for the OP and anyone else a fact that I have learned while researching this is:

Water contains h2 but it doesn't contain a diatomic hydrogen molecule it contains hydrogen atoms so it cant be used as a energy source in this aspect, The hydrogen atoms in water are at a low energy state and there is no chemical reaction available to recombine them into molecules with even lower energy.

12. blackraven1425

Once you add energy (using one of the many methods mentioned here, including via high heat/pressure or electrolysis), you get a diatomic hydrogen molecule. That's the point of these processes; pulling the hydrogen atoms away from the oxygen atom puts them into a higher energy state. Recombining them releases this energy, which is what fuel cells and other processes like combustion do.