Hydor Slim Skim Nano: Unboxed

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Seano Hermano, Sep 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is what I meant to say. Thinks for making it a little simpler to understand lol. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Reading it back, it sounds complicated, when I explained it. But it really isn't lol.

No problem.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I get wet skim too, I'm trying to find a happy medium where the skimmer sits deeply enough but doesn't pull out too wet of skimmate, also since I lose about 1cup of water per day, after about 3 days my water level gets too low for the skimmer to sufficiently make foam into the collection cup. Still trying to work out the details I need to fix this.

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

See that's what I'm seeing with the smaller skimmers. They all seem to skim wet. At the moment I'm using the Reef Octopus NS80 Nano skimmer and talk about a PITA! It pulled good a couple times and that's it. Skims very wet, UGH! Tenacious, as I am (poor $$) I keep tweaking with it but to no avail.

6. Ashevillian

wet skim is still better than no skim, you should see the nasty crap that this wet skim pulls from my tank. also beats the biocube skimmer :( just wish i could get it to skim dry foam instead of wet stuff

7. Ashevillian

i think this is what im going to have to do, have a bucket of sw on hand and do what sea said which is top off using salt water. shouldnt be to much of an issue and i should be able to actually stop using supplements are often since i will be replacing with fresh saltwater. i still think wet skim is better than nothing because im pulling out some nasty stuff regardless. i am just trying to figure out a consistent water level for running the skimmer without having to always adjust the collection cup or top off my water due to evaporation

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

If the skimmer is in the display tank, then the changing water level, as a result of wet-skimming, will make for inconsistent skimming (hence the reason Ashevillian wants to fine-tine his). Running a sump in this situation will help keep your skimmer running more consistently.

I actually mixed 4g distilled water and 2c Instant Ocean salt mix in a 5g bucket a few days ago. I tossed an old skimmer pump in the bucket to mix it up, and let it sit overnight. Now I am able to keep up with my wc, daily, at the skimmer same rate the skimmer is wet-skimming.

I will test my nitrates on Monday to see if they have gone down any more. I will also test the nitrate level of the skimmate to see how nasty the stuff that's being pulled out. :p

10. Ashevillian

I'm going to have to do this too and replace the amount of water I'm removing with skimming wet, I keep my Sg around 1.27 so I'm not terribly worried about my salinity dropping over the next few days.

11. Seano Hermano

Just don't let evaporation cause salinity to get too high too quickly and don't let your top-off cause a large swing in the opposite direction. Changes in salinity should happen relatively slowly.

12. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Ok I get it I think. We're basically replacing the wet skim with SW and not just topping off with ro/di? So we're doing both?