Hydor Koralia Evolution Pump Exploded !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by AmericanChewToy, Jul 31, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AmericanChewToy

AmericanChewToy Astrea Snail

Hi all this is more of just a Heads Up,
    I bought a Hydor koralia smart wavemaker for use with Hydor Koralia Evolution pumps.

After installing this and attaching these Two Hydor Koralia Evolution pumps to it,
    After only about a week and a half running on these One of the Hydor Koralia Evolution pumps Exploded.

That's right the front of the Cage that Holds the Rubber anti-Back Spin plug busted out and fell to the bottom of my Aquarium.

Apparently as the Hydor koralia smart wavemaker doesn't have ramp up or down capability every time it flips on the Impellor Hammers that back spin plug after a few times of this flipping on it broke the flimsy cage that holds it.

So you may want to think twice before getting one of these,
    Also after reading reviews others have had the same problem, I should have read the reviews first, :(

If you attempt to use other pumps with these they make a Loud Crack everything they come on loud enough to scare the peonies out of your Aquarium inhabitance.

ADDENDUM:) It looks like I have the Opportunity to help in another way in here,

BROKEN PLASTICS THAT NEED MENDING FOR YOUR AQAURIUM,
    and safe for your inhabitance.

I mended my koralia using the following and at the moment its back in service.

As I used to work as a Chemist along time ago, before doing so gave me cancer,

I found that if you take Super Glue Gel put it on your Plastic Item that requires repair,
    And then sprinkle Arm and Hammer baking soda on to the Glue then carefully Poke the glue and baking soda into one another,

this Alkalinity change actually changes the Molecular structure of this Mending solution or ethyl-2- cyanoacrylate) or (methyl-2-cyanoacrylate) into a High Tensile plastic oddly stronger then the Original plastic, just remember to clean and rough up the adjacent surfaces, Also if your careful you can use it to put Coral frags onto plugs this chemical reaction that transpires between the glue and the Arm and Hammer causes this substance to all most instantly Volcanize or harden so keep this in mind when fixing your plastics or coral fragging :)

I hope this info is helpful to others.
    Let me know what you think? :)

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If you contact hydor they will send you new covers The later koralias have a much heavier cage. How old were they? Where did you buy them?

zesty likes this.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

thanks for the tip on the glue!

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I had the same problem (after missing the koralia cage) here is my story:

Bought my hydor smart wave after going on their website and their YouTube seeing them advertise it running on koralia nano's. Of course they click and start in reverse and eventually shatter, so I contact the company. They send me new grates and the same thing happens. I ask for new grates a week later and they ask me why they keep breaking. I told them the models and that it was on their wave maker and that I had it on 5 second intervals. First they tell me that 5 seconds is too frequent for their pumps because the pumps are designed to run constantly. On a wavemaker, it shortens their life by up to 75%. So needless to say I'm upset that they have an option that is not even recommended for their products. They send me more grates, and following their advice I have them set to 30 second intervals, but I'm still getting the reverse and clicking, and eventually a cracked grate. Contact them and they ask me the models again and end up telling me the nano's aren't meant to be run on a wave maker at all, and I told them that on their website it says it won't do any of that and their YouTube videos claim the same too. Needless to say I'm still upset that I've now wasted $70 on a product that they will no longer cover my power heads on if I use it. Don't get me wrong they make great powerheads, but I'll never buy one again, this seems to be as close to false advertising as legally possible.

I think it's important to mention that they don't recommend using anything less than 30 seconds (the wavemaker doesn't even come with a 30 second option) and that even though they claim it's made for the bigger "evo" models, it still clicks very loud. All in all, I love their powerheads for continuous flow, but these days, continuous flow doesn't seem to cut it, at least for SPS. My advice is to invest in a controller that can do soft starts and stops (ramping up and down) or just save and get a vortech or cheaper jebao. Pretty disappointed.

Swisswiss likes this.
  6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Koralia were one of the first pumps i got when i threw myself in the hobby and i was never impressed by them, moved to tunze since and im very happy of this choice.

7. AmericanChewToy

AmericanChewToy Astrea Snail

Thanks Very Much all, I emailed them and they sent me new ones
    yeah they were old I guess, and had that really fine flimsy cage in the front :) these new heavy duty jobbies really work :)