hydnophora vs bta

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by ollie51, Jun 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

several months back i bought a rose bta hoping my pec clown would host it but no dice on that ,but somewhere on the rose bta were a couple of tiny green bta 1 made it 1 didnt ,the one that did has now morphed into a monster size of a softball almost ,and is now relocated next to my hydnophora i dont see any damage yet but what do i do ? getting the bta out could be a nightmare my fault for not taking it out sooner but what the hell do i do now any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The Hydnophora are very aggressive and seldom damaged by other corals. Luna

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

If it was me i'd prepare to move or sell the hydnophora just in case

5. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

hey lunatik ,but how agressive are the bta i know the hydno is very agressive w/other coral but i wonder how it stacks up against a bta ?

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thats a great Q, I know that both pack a punch, but not sure who's gonna be the one standing. Might have to wait and see what the other members have to say. Im stuck on this one, but if I had to guess, I think that the BTA would be the last one standing. Luna

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

or you could loose both plus anything else that is neer

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

if it were me I wouldn't chance it either way. I would move the hydno if at all possible. That would be way easier than trying to move the bta as you could injure it.

10. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

i went ahead and made room on the other side of the tank for the hydno just wondering what would you say would be a safe distance to keep it away from other coral? do they use sweeper tentacles i only had it acouple of months thought once is saw sweepers not sure though this was a freebie its about 2-2.5 inches

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hydnophora and Catalaphyllia are the only two corals that can stack up against an anemone! Actually, the two coral species will kill the anemone due to their potent sting.
    I would get rid of the hydnophora if you plan on maintaining the anemone, though you pose a risk of having other corals getting injured or killed if the anemone moves around in your tank.

12. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

the bta has been pretty much in the same area since it arrived w/the rose bta but iam just amazed at how big it got and how fast it got that big for now i moved the hydno and will have to see what the bta does hate the thought of trying to get it out, its on a main piece of rock but not real close to anything now