Huskys Innovative Marine Nuvo 38

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Huskysibe, Jun 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Huskysibe

Huskysibe Astrea Snail

Yup, its only 3 weeks in

2. Click Here!

3. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Not to discourage you or anything but 3 weeks in to a new cycle is very early to be adding an anemone. They are very sensitive to water quality. Most would suggest 6 months to one year being the minimum tank age for an anemone.

4. Fedlimidsmith

Fedlimidsmith Plankton

Yeah they look great.. tank is pretty full...out there...

5. Huskysibe

Huskysibe Astrea Snail

Thats what i figured too but he insisted i add the Anemone first before other corals. So i have a tankfull of snails, crabs and 1 anemone and it doesnt look happy. Its withdrawn and shriveled.

6. Huskysibe

Huskysibe Astrea Snail

Alright, he is bouncing back!!!!! He looks great today, I guess he found a spot he really likes now.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

they will shrink and shrivel periodically so that it bounced back is good. Once it stays put for a bit and seems to be content......you may try to feed it a small amount of food. It probably wouldn't hurt to add some beneficial bacteria to your tank like microbacter7 to help improve your bacteria diversity since your tank is so young.

8. Click Here!

9. Huskysibe

Huskysibe Astrea Snail

Thanks! He is looking great, finally moved to a spot he likes. I am going to feed it a small piece of shrimp tomorrow now that its setteled and happy. I will look into that microbacter7, thanks for the advice!

10. Huskysibe

Huskysibe Astrea Snail

I am just curious so please dont take this the wrong way, but what does tank age have to do with it? If I am fully cycled, why would I have to wait 6 months to a year to add an Anemone? Wouldnt the water params be the same? I keep reading that you want the tank to settle in. If all my params are spot on now, and all I do are water changes for the next 6-12 months wouldnt my water chemistry essentially be the same throughout that time frame? What would be happening in there now, that wont be happening in 6-12 months?

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I probably shouldn't even attempt to answer this question but I'm in the mood to live dangerously so here goes :) Time will increase your biodiversity in your tank. It will also stabilize over time and go through several periods of yucky algae stages as it matures. After 6 months, these phases will most likely have run their course and your tank will stabilize. During various outbreaks of diatoms and cyano and some HA, this can affect the health of some creatures. Anemones in particular need very clean, pristine water with good lighting. HTH but your question is a good one.

I'll wait for others to chime in because I could be totally wrong in my explanation.

12. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

@Huskysibe
    - To answer your question "Stability", As OFK said these inverts are senstive to changes in your water chemistry. Bubble tip anemones are fairly hardy and will be more forgiving on water conditions than some other types. Your tank values from now will differ from those of 6 months from now and 1 year from now. Since reading your posts It appears you have no fish in your tank. So as soon as you add fish you will now have source of waste, which will contribute to your cycle causing another mini one.

As soon as you add something like fish, corals you will be dealing with feedings, care, etc. All this adds more organics to your tank to break down.