Humidity and control

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Scuba Ken, May 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

So, I believe I have a humidity problem.
    What are you guys and gals doing to help with humidity ?
    I am running 2 humidifiers, they sit all day at about 55%, I have heard about air exchange systems, my tank is in my man cave, so air flow is somewhat less than the main floor! we do get some condensation on glass and door windows upstairs in winter which obviously turns into ice for us.

What should the humidity levels be ?
    What can I do to reduce humidity ?
    I have heard about putting lids on tanks and sumps, but they will never be 100% sealed! and then what about C02 in the tanks ?
    What are you doing to manage your humidity levels ?
    I have looked at adding a couple of bug extraction fans in the wall next to the tank, I don't know if that would work or not ?
    I have heard that having lots of plants around the room will allow the water to be sucked out of the air naturally ? I always thought plants added moisture to the air ?

Looking for some sure fire ways.

If I need to get a contractor to come in and install a air exchanger, I will, but what is good, and what is not, what sort of prices can I expect for the system and install ?

2. Click Here!

3. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I installed an HRV.

4. Scuba Ken

What did that entail, cost, mean ?
    How bug is your system ?

5. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I'm curious why you think the humidity is a problem. What trouble is it causing you?

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

When I had my halide, my room felt like a sauna.

7. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Mine was a Lifebreath 300DCS HRV which is a double core unit, the largest I could buy without buying a commercial unit.
    They are built here in London Ontario (and also get other brand name tags on the same units) and their engineer worked with me to determine what I needed.
    I fed him temperature normally in the house, the surface area of all sources of open water in the home, and the normal temperatures of that water, and he did the calculations to determine what I needed.
    Before I bought this unit, I destroyed my windows and doors due to the excessive humidity in the home due to so many tanks.
    It certainly was a costly lessen.
    I don't remember the cost as I bought it wholesale about 11 or 12 yrs ago and installed it myself

8. Click Here!

9. Scuba Ken

I have some bubbling appearing on some dry wall by the tank, I can smell the damp in the basement, I am running 2 portable dehumidifers which I empty every 2nd day, so I think I might have a issue.
    I have a 6 foot long tank and refugium, so quite a lot of open water.

10. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I tried dehumidifiers for a few years but ended up still needing much more.
    The HRV solved the problem.
    As for the blistering on the drywall, that might be paint lifting off due to the close proximity of the salt water tank to it, especially if there has been some salt creep to it.

11. Scuba Ken

I do have some salt creep on the wall, I just know that this is the way I need to go, I was hoping to get some advice on a system, I have central air, but being in Alberta that's not on until the end of the month, we still have ice on the lake here :)