HR669 - a serious issue

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by My2heartboys, Apr 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

I hope it passes, like stated in this document it is to protect the United States of nonnative wildlife species that could potentially cause harm to the environment or people/native species. Please read the link, our hobby is not in danger nor are our pets.... well most of them :).

oops totally forgot :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

goldfish no hamster yes.
    i have to say someone some where will be abused by this. you say that but all you have to do is piss off a gov't official and you will be fined or have your animals confiscated.

I understand your point of view about the dangerous animals. i dont agree with it, i could understand harsher regulations country wide but not banning.

but the fact is those animals arent the only ones included in the bill.
    and as far as a list about animals that are ok.
    cats, dogs, cattle/oxen, horses, pigs (domestic), sheep, chickens, domestic geese and ducks, goats, llamas, donkeys, mules, domestic rabbits and goldfish
    those are what are on the list right now. it is going to be very difficult to add all the "safe" pets out there now. i think the video was pretty right on this worry

endangered species are heavily protected and are not easy to obtain legally. if you dont believe me go out and pick up a asian arowana. the only big cats not endangered are the cougar and the lion. this bill may remove the lion problem. but a cougar is a native species.
    this bill does nothing for cougars, as i have not yet comupon the a description of what the dangerous animals are i am not sure they will be included
    I think you and I would be more happy if this specifically named dangerous animals instead of safe animals

edit: also remember people be nice, this isnt a political forum so double check your post, i know i had too.

1 person likes this.
  4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

(B) INFORMATION REQUIRED- Any proposal under this subsection must include sufficient scientific and commercial information to allow the Secretary to evaluate whether the proposed nonnative wildlife species is likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to other animal species’ or human health.

this is the information required for and request for a species to be included in allowable list.

do anybody else see how it could be a problem to find and provide this information for every single species apropriate for the pet trade
    i think this would literally be impossible to provide or fund except by a big company that has a significant financial stake.

do you know how little scientific data there is on ornamental fishes, the majority of the information has be supplied by hobbiest. sure there is plenty of data on food animals but not so with pets.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

theres another thread on this in the environmental section

6. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

i think that there is more hype being built about in fear that the non-invasive species people have as pets will be put on the unapproved list. which most likely wont be but everyone is freaking out about it, so the bill probably wont get passed because of this. when in reality it is very well needed. if it doesn't get passed, oh well, there are always new bills introduced and one day things will be set straight. maybe next time they will be more clear on things so everyone will understand. it honestly would be easier to go out and buy a tiger cub than it would be to get ahold of an asian arrowana. and depending on which state you're in you wont get in any trouble for it. unless this is passed :) and hopefully, by the way things are going now, cougars wont end up on the endangered list.

7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

hehe, thanks for the reminder, I forget about the no politics thing.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

this is nuts. Do you realize how many jobs will be lost, not to mention our beloved tanks and hobbies. I can't even plant a garden cuz that will be illegal next.

10. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

OH good someone posted this video. I'm going to call/write our congress.. This is BULL S#@* With all the issues our country is having this isn't exactly something the congress needs to have their hands in. They have more important issues to deal with.

11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

lol, it's a bill going through congress. How much more political can we get. But it's on topic.

I think it's all hype and most likely won't pass, but -

Frankly, with our current economic situation, it pisses me off that they're wasting time on such things.

With Americans losing jobs daily and businesses going under, the government should be focusing all efforts on getting the country back on track and not causing further stress. If this passes, it could hurt small business further by preventing the trade of such animals. Think of all the jobs lost if we couldn't purchase tropical fish / corals / other animals.

Those of us fortunate enough to be able to afford a luxury hobby such as this stimulate the economy daily ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Well for me if its stocked in my tank and i propagate it its for sale or trade they will just have to show up and slap the cuffs on if they can. :uzi::rifle: