HR669 - a serious issue

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by My2heartboys, Apr 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

not sure how relivent it all is, alot of the non-native species causing destruction are being introduced by accident in all of our lakes and streams, I know here in oklahoma the group I'm a member of has a monthly meeting with the OK Dept of Wildlife & Game, the dept actually accidently introduced white perch to our rivers and lakes last year and it's causing havoc since the fish eats other fishes eggs and they breed at an earlier time in the year than others, we're also fighting an infestation of zebra muscles in our lakes/rivers also
    Also alot of the country is having issues with the snakehead and asian carp fish that were introduced by worrysome treehuggers

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

the majority of these problems have started to arise with the increasing global trade and such. ballast tanks of ships emptied into the great lakes has been a huge culprit. zebra mussels and gobies are the main issues. purple loose strife is another big problem. although not an animal , rather a plant. it does affect the wildlife, by replacing bull rushes and absorbing huge amounts of wetland water compared to the rushes. unfortunately not much can be done.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

no more goldfishes:cry:
    if every country passed this law they would be home less and wiped out. since they have no native enviroment and were created by people from carp

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

well the other common factor is tree huggers dumping live foreign fish from a market into a local stream/pond if their put into check the issue wouldnt even exist

6. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

i'm pretty sure the treehuggers weren't the ones who released the snakeheads... they were making a big fuss about the people who did release them when that first happened because the snakeheads were wiping out a lot of stuff and they were trying to find them and get rid of them. i think the most recent thing i have read about snakeheads were that they have been found in alabama now. i heard they are really tasty. i think there is only one type that you're aloud to have in Maryland but its a dwarf species, and you're not aloud to take it over the state line.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I've moved this thread to the Environmental forum pending discussion with other mods.

While this remains, I want to remind everybody to watch how we speak with one another.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Political threads seem to get messy. Perhaps that's why Kingfish preferred not to have them from the very start.

I'm all for closing this one up.

10. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

this DOES include big cats. there are some really good actual sanctuaries backing this and trying to get it passed so that people who can't honestly take care of them when they get too big, wont be able to have them in the first place. there aren't laws about owning them in every state. i think the over reaction is thinking that people will come bust down your door to take your breeding hamsters and goldfish. if you don't have the funding and proper resources and can provide veterinarian care for the dangerous animals that you thought were so cute when they were a baby but are too big now then you shouldn't have the right to keep it pent up, its cruel. what happens when it gets too big and you cant afford to feed it, don't have a big enough shelter for it, cant get it the medical care it needs, shoot it in the head and drop it off on the side of the highway. and that has happened a few times. there was a guy in NY that kept a tiger cub in his apartment, it got full grown, no one knew about until he got bit and ended up in the hospital. i think if you plan on having whatever kind of fish that you fear will be on the unapproved list you should go out and get it now so you wont have to worry about it later. some zoos contribute to breeding to help the endangered species, and as long as they have their license they will be able to aid in preventing extinction, like the sumatran tiger, or snow leopards. i dont see why people are scared of political threads. its just the internet calm down people.

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Is this all because of "Travis the Chimp" up here in Connecticut?

12. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I would say yea most political threads should be left for another site but this is hitting a bit close to home. The ban on fish and pets in general is somthing we can all relate too. I think most of us are adults and we should be able to keep our kool on this topic. Maybe orgainze a letter to someone that matters from all of us at 3reef on the baning of the bill. I don't know who that would be but I am sure there is someone out there that is willing to find out. Just a suggestion. I love my pets and never could imagine where the world would be if people didn't care for animals. I know my knowledge of reefs natural and fake is much more then the average bear and I would have never have gotten there if there was no such thing as reef keeping. I would also like to think maybe me keeping a reef might save a part of the reel one some day. Might be dreaming. but keep this thread open as long as no fights break out and hope our voice in heard.