HR669 - a serious issue

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by My2heartboys, Apr 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I am with John on this, I do not see it touching this industry at all. As for the increase for that yellow tang from 45 to 80, It is still about 45 to 50 here. Maybe just some LFS that will jack the price and take advantage of the situation.

2. Click Here!

3. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

every one is worried about the economy and I don't see how a bill like this would help. There are too many people out there with pets and I can't see how something so rediculous would pass. But it did make it this far so I guess anything is possible. The world has really gone crazy

4. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

Thats very true and i could see them doing this. But i did make money off of them because i had a yellow that i needed to take back and onlt bought it for 40 or so and got 50 store credit 3 months later.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

how has this thread not been closed yet? :eek:

6. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

From what I gather the larger the Tang the higher the price, maye that is why you got the 50....
    Danny

7. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

this bill will prevent people from keeping dangerous animals as pets. which include keeping lions and tigers in their backyards and basements. i'm sure fish will be put on the approved list.

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

lions, tigers and bears (oh my) are already banned from ownership.

This bill really wont affect saltwater aquarium owners much. The bill is designed to "prevent the introduction of non-native wildlife species that pose excessive risk to the economy, the environment, human health or native wildlife."

The second part is important there. Most of our fish post zero risk of becoming an invasive species. We may lose a couple fish, but the hobby will not be threatened. We are likely to lose lionfish because they have already become an invasive species, and probably anything that is excessively venomous.

The bill really affects snake and vermin owners, since they are not dependent on a glass box of water kept at perfect parameters.

10. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

Humans are not native species............. are we banned too? C'mon people, this guy is obviously stretching things just a tad. If your kids hamster is popping out babies I highly doubt the national guard is going to break down your door to get them. I am for the bill, but I will need to relocate my Tiger. Anyone want him?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  11. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

This is so gonna be a bad thread. But even here in Fla, we are having problems of invasive snakes, and iguanas that are wiping out the natural life. Fire ants are the biggest one and it effects the entire south. These bills are for protection, hopefully they are fine tuned.

12. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

they are not banned from ownership in a lot of states. people have been trying to get them banned for a while all across the US. and my first post on this thread never showed up, the one you quoted, so i typed another. still don't see it, weird.