Urgent HQI Light Failure

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by StingRayNet, Jan 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. StingRayNet

StingRayNet Plankton

My HQI Light on my 29 Gallon JBJ Nano Tank is shuting down and than comes back on. I hear a "Clicking" or "cracking" sound each time it shuts off or comes back on. The light on the "Gear Box for the HID Light" stays on so I don't think its the unit. This is my first experience with HQI Lighting. Does this mean the bulb is failing? The bulb is 9 Months old. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

If it was the bulb, I would think the light would go out and stay out. I would put my money on it being the ballast going.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

that sounds like ballast all the way

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

As mentioned, if the bulb was the issue it would more than likely remain off so this does cast suspicion to the ballast. I personally do not let my MH’s live past 9 months since the spectrum begins to shift – with that in mind, if you end up replacing anything at least the cost of the bulb was going to be dealt with already. Is this unit under warrantee – might want to check with the manufacturer. If you are dealing with a lfs you might be able to borrow some temporary lighting from them when you deal with this problem.