How would this be for a selection?? Need answer quick so I can buy with Black Friday sale..

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by NASAGeek, Nov 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I can't compare, but I'll tell you why I'm going with Kessil. Early on, I went to a mini seminar from a LFS. He went into debth on energy spectrums. Kessil's spectrum was similar to MH. Both are similar to the suns spectrum in the lack of lower energy toward the red. Many forms of lighting have a bit of a bump toward the longer wavelengths (red). He claimed that this irritated corals. It makes since to some degree because that lower energy light would be as a result of being closer to the surface. Corals will want to limit the zooenthellae production when too much light is hitting them. The problem is that the lights we use are much less powerful than the sun. I see a conflict there. At that time, Kessil was the only light he knew of that didn't have that bump in the red zone. All that being said, there are plenty of people that seem to be doing a great job growing corals on most types of lighting.

2. Click Here!

3. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Was my list of what I needed to buy for the Kessil correct to hook up to an APEX?

4. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Was my list of what I needed to buy for the Kessil correct to hook up to an APEX?

5. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I can't comment on the APEX because I have no experience with them. Regarding the price difference between LEDs, a lot of it has to do with brand name and luxury features like color changing/dimming.

6. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I ended up deciding to go with two Aquaillumination Hydra 26's and the wireless APEX extension module. Thanks for the links and advice. Order has been placed...

7. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

I am using Hydra's and I love em. Let me know how the Apex module works out, that's my next step.