How to's for moving a aquarium or transferring to a bigger one!!

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by coral reefer, Nov 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Thanks for all the info. Fact is I'm still perplexed but the fact remains that even if I just move the tank to another destination I could lose some fish and coral. My mind is somewhat racing right now. I did go to Walmart and got more tubs for the water and rock and fish and coral. I'll keep you'all posted.;)

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I did see the question asked, but didn't see a response for it. I'm moving this week. I was planning on moving my 29gal right into my new 90gal, but my 90gal won't be ready and as others have advised me not to rush.

Here's my question: I live in NE where the temp has been in the teens lately. This week we'll be blessed with 20's - 30 degree weather with the forcast of snow. I can throw my live stock in the cab of my truck to stay warm, but what about the rest of the water & live rock/live organisms in the crushed coral. Should I keep them warm & how? The drive is about 10min, not long.

Also I hear pros & cons of crush coral beds. I have been told they are bad & others state it's fine. Any input. I have never had a problem. I kinda hate to dump it do to the life in it worms & ect...

Thanks,

CJ

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Hoping to not hijack this thread for too long...

But use a cooler. They're great at acting as warmers too ;)

Personally, when I upgrade my tank size I plan on moving everything over as well except the substrate (I have CC too). Not because I don't want what I got, just because I would rather not stir up my current substrate and release all its nastiness into my new setup...

So if it were me, I'd get new substrate (sand or CC) but keep all else (rocks, water, livestock, etc.). I'd screen old substrate out for the snails and whatnot.

5. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I just moved turbo4603's tank. All I can say is, its a lot of work. Karma to yo coralreefer.

6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

You're a genius! I didn't even think of a cooler. I have a 125 liter cooler from my boat & a smaller one at the house, both with drain plugs. That's perfect, hold some heat, hold some rock, easy of pouring into buckets using the drain at the bottom. I should seal pretty tight as well. I'll let you know...

Thanks,

CJ

7. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I have been happy to pay a person with endless knowledge (lfs manager) to help with moving tanks. When we moved my 75 and 85 I paid him a few hundred to help. Its good insurance to have cause when moving tanks, anything is likely. We are moving a 265 this weekend and it will cost at least $500 for all the experienced manpower and for setup. I believe this is not an area to be pinching a penny. Hold off on the beer payment until setup. lol

8. Click Here!

9. howie123

howie123 Astrea Snail

Put your frogspawn in a tupperware container and add sandwich bags
    to hold coral in place you can ball them up whatever I use the big ziplock kind but I cut off the ziplock top for 1 coral i use like 3 bags on a small
    coral I use 1 mabee 2. This will keep them in place and the bag is too soft to damage your coral..
    This is how my LFS does it too... well they showed me LOL
    hope this helps

10. kucky

kucky Plankton

Hi there, im going to purchase a bigger tank this week I currently have a 16g bowfront and now looking at a 36g bowfront. I have a question. Since my new tank will require more and new water isnt it a good idea to keep it running for a few days to the PH, Nitrite, Nitrate etc. balances out?

11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Coral Reefer, great write up. I will make use of this information soon!

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Try not to hijack this thread with several questions - if this doesn't answer your question, please start a new thread.

I believe you are asking if you transfer your 16g 'stuff' to the new 36g, will it cycle in a few days? The answer is no. You will go through a new cycle all over again. The use of existing cycled rock, water, etc. may speed the process up for you, but you're still looking at several weeks of cycling before you should add any livestock.

As always, test often to monitor the cycle.

And welcome to 3reef!!!