how to stack live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by hoodoo, Oct 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I put eggcrate on the bottom to protect against an avalanche. I put the large pieces on the bottom and made sure they were stable. Then I added the rest of the rock. You don't need to be a ROCKet scientist to do this but you'd better be able to see what your doing. I put down the rocks before I added the sand and that helped a whole lot. I only wish I had bought bigger rocks.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. basile

basile Feather Duster

Does anybody know about pegging

[​IMG]Hey guys, new ways of putting you rock together

Reef Videos you can look at pegging there. Look at this exemple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's How, peggs and zip ties

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putty as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway just a thought.

4. italianstali0n1

italianstali0n1 Astrea Snail

Wait, why is it not good to lean the rock against the glass? If its not a big rock is there really much of a chance that the glass would break?

5. basile

basile Feather Duster

If your talking about these last pics, its not leaning against the glass. Its against the back panel.And the liverock has been sanded flat.

6. italianstali0n1

No, i believe on the first page someone asked what is the best way to stack them and them said they know its not good to lean them against the glass. So i was just asking why?

7. basile

basile Feather Duster

Oh sorry lol; well for good reason, those rocks are abrasive to the glass, they'll scratch them and if enough weight could break them. think of it as a diamand on glass lol. It wont cut it but , messy scratch on glass or acrylic, not pretty.:)

8. Click Here!

9. italianstali0n1

yea i guess u got a point lol

10. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

mine are stacked up against the glass. Its the back of the tank, so not too worried about scratches. But it doesnt have alot of weight on it, just resting against it.

11. whowadat

whowadat Plankton

:eek: Newbie Alert! :eek:

What about putting rock right on top of the bottom glass and then adding your substrate. The thought being that rock on sand might make dead spots for ammonia and/or a goby or something digging around might cause a dramatic shift wreaking some havoc later down the road.

I was just planning on adding a bit of sand to help keep things in place and then the rest of the substrate when I complete my aquascape, any reason that would be a bad idea ??

Mike

12. 09lehmkuhla

09lehmkuhla Plankton

What about stacking rocks with livestock around? remove them temporarily or just be careful?