how to stack live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by hoodoo, Oct 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

Well I know I have seen it. When ever I pull a maxi-mod for a cleaning and rebuild the coralline always turns white. The once back in the tank it slowly colors up again. I'm pretty sure it dies and comes back.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Thanks, Scott. I'll keep an eye on it. So far, no change. I'll have my vortech pump tomorrow. Maybe that'll effect things?

4. onecansay

onecansay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have the same white looking coralline on some rock. Also have coralline that is brown/bronze in colour. Since upgrading tank my coralline seems to be morphing into many different versions of colour. Looks pretty in the tank.
    some call me frank

5. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

when i first set up my tank i had the white stuff on my tank too (coralline) since then its changed to brownish

6. Airborneguy

Airborneguy Flamingo Tongue

Still waiting for my coralline... Can't wait!

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Did you seed the tank with them ? Also many rinse out the good stuff from their sand before adding it to their tanks and then crank a skimmer up to remove the spores and then blast the spores with to much lighting of the wrong spectrum and There will come a day you will hate corallines :)

My son in law last year said hey you don't have the tank covered in the coralines here like you did back home whats wrong ? I said shhhooooo they may hear you.. They did ): the boss was scrapping weekly thats her Job ! Mine is to grow them. But since I had been laid up the last 6 months they held their own but their growth explosion stopped and slowed . Then about 4 weeks ago I was able to safely get up and down to the basement I started to clean and recharge all the reactors and getting all the parameters back up to snuff and man this last week or two its baaaaack ): But I did notice this coralline I have had in the past its a plating type grows off like a ledge purple/blue and pink with blue specks . And I think I got that Byropsis under control its gone ??? That Box you on the way will help also it feeds the hell out of them.. has all the stuff they love Mag Ca. and Carbonates .. And once they take off then you have to increase dosages to keep them fed.

8. Click Here!

9. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

a combination of fiji, and tonga branch is what i used. the branch rock can be used to support the bigger pieces.
    my plan when setting up my tank was, i wanted the fish to be able to swim from one end of the tank, to the other, through the rocks. i see most reefers setting up thier tanks as a wall of rock, and i did'nt like that.
    i used a combination of the branch, and looked for pieces with big holes in them, that the larger fish would be able to swim through.
    now i am certainly not an expert, but as far as not stacking the rock against the glass, don't drive yourself crazy over that statement. you want to have the water flow in your tank accesable to as many areas throughout the tank, as possible. you can lean some rock against the glass, just make sure that you are getting water flow around it. in other words, don't butt a flat piece of rock up against the glass, from top to bottom. certain areas of the rock will touch the glass.
    believe me, you will be reconfiguring your rockscape, often, until your at the capicity you want. you'll find that these rock will kinda fit together, somehow.
    as stressfull as this may seem, this is a fun time. set it up, sit back, take it all in. then tear it down and start all over(lol). i did that many times.
    good luck, and keep us posted.

10. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

[​IMG]hope you can see it clear enough, to help you out with some ideas

11. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

yea, you should be able to get away with the rock being out of water for a good couple hours. Way more than you need to revamp the layout.

12. Efishnsee

Efishnsee Plankton

efishnsee

Newbie here. just doing the toe dipping approach. Scope how this website can help everyone with variuose subjects covered by more experienced people.