how to stack live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by hoodoo, Oct 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crutkas

crutkas Flamingo Tongue

as long as sponges aren't on it, I can't see why you can't.

As for drilling, I'd say longer on monster peices and shorter on smaller ones. Rods? Ummm, could slices up a PVC tub. Got me on that one.

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I do have sponges on mine so I guess that won't work.

Cindy

4. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

What about wooden dowles. You can but these in 3 foot sections at lumber supply yards. Or is wood off limits in the water? Also if you find some old miniblinds that are being thrown out you could take the plastic rod that is used to spin open the blinds. Mabey even buy them at walmart....if you can stand to go in one.

Jay

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=beamer link=board=General;num=1097980744;start=0#11 date=10/19/04 at 16:53:28]I do have sponges on mine so I guess that won't work.

Cindy[/quote]

Cindy,

Just be a bit careful of sponges, exposure to air could cause them to die and as some release toxins when dead you should be careful :)

John

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=beamer link=board=General;num=1097980744;start=0#7 date=10/18/04 at 20:13:55]But what do you do if you need to take it apart? I've been breaking mine down some so I can remove excess coral, especially star polyps and mushrooms. They've already grown back and I need to take some of the rock out again to clean it up. My LFS has been benefiting from this.

Cindy[/quote]

Cindy,

If you use a type epoxy ( we call it Aqua knead over here ) then it doesn't actually 'stick' to the rock.  when you apply it it forms to take the shape of the rock and cradles it.  That's what I use when I have some wobbly bits :)

John

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I just stacked mine using pieces to make bridges and so far so good. No glue or tie downs. It stays put until I move it and the critters don't budge the stuff. Tons of water flow and hiding places. Bigger pieces are better, I agree!

8. Click Here!

9. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Same here Craig...I just pilled my in a manner so the worse side was usually down, and made bridges and cliffs with  tons of area....

I never knew there was any other way.... funny....

Im getting alot of white areas on my rock...Like patches of bright white .... any ideas on this?

Hope its not the way I stacked my rock!   heheh

Scoffer

will post a picture soon as I can.

10. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

heres my tank stacking new as of tonight.....
    I can finally see my saddle again!!!

Now wheres my cowboy boots????! 8)

Attached Files:

11. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Scoffer- Just want to say that is a awesome rock structure. Rock on [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

JohnO- Just have to say that your new avatar is bugging the Crap out of me.

JMHO's

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=somethingfishy link=board=General;num=1097980744;start=15#18 date=10/21/04 at 16:28:59]JohnO- Just have to say that your new avatar is bugging the Crap out of me.  

JMHO's[/quote]

Good, it's working then! :)

John