How to size full siphon drains?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by ezz1r, Nov 3, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Forum : Wanted some advise !

Good afternoon everyone I have decided for the new build to go with the failsafe / full siphon drains on the 20" ghost overflow from Reef Savvy. After lots of reading in my case it would be the best alternative given I live in a Condo setting and would best prevent any possible flooding problems due to interruptions in power once the tank is plumbed.

My question is the following how do I determine the height of each siphon? I will be using 2" PVC pipes for the system which fit directly into the provided bulkheads that came with the overflow. I have read that they should be 1-2 inches higher than top of drain is that correct?

My clearance in the overflow is 6 2/8 " and I wouldn't want it to stick out above that for aesthetics.

Thanks again in advance all !!

E Full syphon.jpg

Overflow clearence.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Kajung2k

Kajung2k Astrea Snail

I put gate valves on two of the three, made them the same height and the emergency is 2" taller than the highest part of the full siphon and there is no valve in on it. Beanstyle full siphon is the best way to go if you can do it.

ezz1r likes this.
  4. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Kajung2k:

Great thanks for the input ! Do you currently have a Beanstyle full siphon? If so how is it working out for you ? I also think in my case it is the best way to go ! .

5. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

keep them coming LOL !

6. Kajung2k

Kajung2k Astrea Snail

ezz1r likes this.
  7. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

here is what I'm working with the Reef Savvy 20" Ghost overflow I have approximately 6" in height and the bulkheads are 2".

20 Ghost Overflow 2.jpg 20 Ghost Overflow.jpg

Kajung2k : At your earliest convenience would you mind sending me a picture of your set up? I would truly appreciate it !

Thanks

E

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  8. Click Here!

9. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Kajung2k:

Started playing around with the syphons today here is what they looks like so far. Made one of the syphons slightly higher 1" or so difference. They both are as you suggeted 2" below emergency stand alone. I still need to paint and glue them in place before a water test. I will be eventually painting them black to match the rest of the plumbing components.

20151105_114932.jpg 20151105_115117.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Looks great E! Very clean☺

11. Vu Nguyen

Vu Nguyen Flamingo Tongue

How is the noise level?

12. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Vinny !! Thanks brother finally getting around to the new DT build from Reef Savvy waiting on some plumbing parts before H2o test.

E