How to remove Green Hair and Brown Algae

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Reefnfish, Jan 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. frkid247

frkid247 Sea Dragon

hermit crabs and emerald crabs help alot!

2. Click Here!

3. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

I really appreciate all of the outpouring of possible solutions to my problem. At what point do I admit defeat and then what to do to start over and fix all the issues??

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

scrubbing the rocks you can remove in a bucket of tank water at water change time, is a great idea IME reefnfish

But you still need to erradicate the cause otherwise its a full time battle

are you using a Phosphate reactor or do you have a cannister or HOB filter that you can run GFO in?

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

easy one

IME
    you never ever admit defeat

Steve

6. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

well its most likely because of the tap water keep doing weekly wc and if you want u can scurb the rocks but u need to find whats feeding the algae
    u never give up .how long is ur light cycle ? do u have coral?

7. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

I have Colt and Kenya tree growing with good results, got some bubble tips also growing well. I have a fuge with Macro algae and some Carlupra. I have crystal clear water just can't shed the gha and brown algae from flurrishing and taking over any other growth. So sad. Sorry for the grim results. you guys seem to have lot's of success though....Cool.

8. Click Here!

9. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

bioreefdude, I've been using RO/DI water for 5 Months now. Is there something else that causes the bad stuff to grow?

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

pics?

dead snails shells? overfeeding? to much light cycle, 7-8daylights, 10-12 actinics..
    using kalkwasser?

I had bad gha from months 1 thru 7 on my tank. its gone now, just red bubble!

11. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

So you think it could be a cycle thing?????

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

could be, 1st year on a reef tank can suck. lossing fish, algae blooms, etc..

if you have nitrates @ 20ppm, and with all that algae then really your nitrates are higher than 20. only feed every other day. something is causing this. you have to find it. do 10-20% water changes every week & clean your fitlers out. my nitrates are at 60+ ppm right now and dont have GHA problem just red bubble. I had to cut my lighting cycle times down a few hours for a month and dose kalkwasser mix, and that helps with my past gha problem.