How to Mod the Sea Clone

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by RHorton, Dec 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Using an air stone won't work, it doesn't create small enough bubbles like the wooden diffuser will. I have tried many times before with a stone and never could get them to create foam (the bubbles are just to big).

2. Click Here!

3. Russter

Russter Flamingo Tongue

Here is one week of collection from my SeaClone with the fishing line mod and using part of a rubber glove to help seal the collection cup to the main body. I noticed a huge difference in amount of bubbles after I modded the impeller. For smaller tanks, people on a budget, or people who didn't know better when they bought one (like me :-/), this mod makes a mediocre piece of equipment into a useful one.

Attached Files:

4. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

I made the "drilled holes" version of the above mods, with out adding the air diffuser, and have not been able to get skimate that dark... I still use this skimmer for the few times I need/want a skimmer on the medic/quarantine tank... Time to add the diffuser...

Thank you for the update to Modifying the SeaClone.

5. prat4821

prat4821 Astrea Snail

This is the best set of pictures I've been able to find for the bio-wheel mod; pretty simple stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like a useful trick for making a moderately viable supplemental skimmer.

6. GarB3ar

GarB3ar Astrea Snail

Just modded mine, did the impeller, tom i am going to stop by the LFS and pick up an air diffuser. Hopefully once i get my sump setup I can get another Skimmer.

7. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

We picked one up along with a bunch of other random marine goodies for $25 recently. Some local guy bought a big marine setup and decided to use it a freshwater so he put everything saltwater related that came with it on craigslist for $25. It sucked stock so we modded the tubes, added a new flow control, sealed the cup to the main body and ran a rigid airline straight to the bottom with a wooden airstone. Considering what it cost total it is working out pretty good so far.

8. Click Here!

9. kimberlee

kimberlee Flamingo Tongue

I have to agree, I'm the on the budget type, and ended up w/ this skimmer. Didn't work all that great, them we ran across theses same instructions to mod it. I must of been lucky w/ the mods, because mine works better than I could of hoped for, and I've had no good reason to get another skimmer. For those who are on the fence about bothering w/ the mods, they can work, and are worth trying.

Great step by step guide, it's very easy to follow.

10. michaellis93

michaellis93 Plankton

is the air diffuser supposed to spin around and tap and stuff?

11. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

nope the air diffuser just sits in the bottom of the tube and creates air bubbles.

12. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

very nice!