How to make a sump

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by JPfish, Oct 1, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Matt,
    I am going to attempt to make my own sump, the only question I have is how far from the top of the tank to I put my baffles and how big of an opening at the bottom do I leave? This is where I am afraid I am going to make a mistake and either starve the pump for water for pass it through the refugium too fast to do anything. Any words of wisdom Matt or anyone else???:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Thanks for the info, Matt! Where did you find it?

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You have any info Matt????

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

One question (or 20, somewhere there). i have a siphon overflow that is rated at 600 gph and a pump rated at 300 gph. i am planning to make a sump and beautify my tank by moving the skimmer down. i have a 10g and all i want to know is if i can cut down the overflows intake to 300 so it runs even with the pump and doesn't overflow the sump. can i just by a valve to put on the hosing to the sump from the overflow or do i need a new pump??????

Please try to explain in simple wording ( bare with me, im only 14 years old!!!8) )

7. salty

salty Plankton

Just wanted to ask if im starting with a 125 gallon tank should the sump tank be bigger like a 20 or 30 gallon.

8. Click Here!

9. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I have a 100gal and my sump is 55

[​IMG]

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I usually get my sumps to be at least half of what the DT is. So in your case, I would get anywhere between 55-75g sump. Luna

11. plandy

plandy Astrea Snail

Make it as big as your space and budget permits. IMO: with sumps the bigger the better. In my case with a 90 gallons and limited space it's 40 gallons divided into two sumps for alternate lighting for macro algae cultivation.

12. SN25P

SN25P Plankton

55gl sump with 10 gl sump

Hi Everyone. Ive had my tank for about 2 years now. I bought one of those kit by top fin 55gl aquarium kit and my filter just went out so I got me a canister filter. I have a CPR backpak protein skimmer. I want to put everything under the tank. I got me some 3/4 and elbow PVC. I also pick up a 10 gl glass tank. I bought a new in sump protein skimmer. So How do I got about putting it togethere. like getting it to my 10 gl without overflowing. My plan was use the powerheads from the CPR to pump water from main tank to 10 gl tank. then use another powerhead from the 10 gl to the main tank. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks