How to make a sump

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by JPfish, Oct 1, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I like sumps... did anyone take out the bio balls ?

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Am in the process of building my sump/refugium. Will post pics of the progress! Will use a 29 gallon long.

4. hotstuff

hotstuff Plankton

hi guys, im new in this tank stuff, how do i start. i have allready read those three steps and plan to sart a 29 gallon soon. I dont get wut a sump is

5. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

In short a sump is a small tank that gose under your main tank that can hold water, you then put on a skimmer on the main tank to let water drain down to the sump, and a pump in the sump to move the water back up to your main tank. I hope this drowing will help

Attached Files:

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

This may sound dumb to all the experienced folk here, but for the newbies here you should test the water level in your sump in case of power failure not fun to wake up or come home to flood after a power outage. To do this after you get the tank/sump and accesories up and running disconnect power to the return pump and see how high the water in the sump rises. be ready to plg the pump back in if the level gets near the top of the sump!

7. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hey scuba, Drawings help a lot. thamx for the sketch.
    The explanations was good simple and to the point. awesome

8. Click Here!

9. Cygnus

Cygnus Plankton

And remember to make small airholes on the return line above the water, (especially if the outlet is deep in the tank) such that the water will not get sucked back into the sump when the pumps are turned off, or during a power failure.

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Craig, Matt, Phil, Naut, et.al.

Am beginning plans for a tank upgrade sometime next spring. Have settled on a 120 "All-Glass" with the twin megaflows, after some "serious" negotiation with wife for both $ and "space"...

Am actually beginning work on stand this weekend.

Was wondering about future "sump/refugium"??? - should they be in same tank? (I have a 20 gal out in garage I was planning to use for the sump) - or should they be separate tanks linked somehow together? - or should I opt for just one larger one?

The tank is 48" X24"X24" and will be on a stand with only 24" of clearance in it - so not lots of room for adding additional tanks...

THX

OmarD :-/

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey Omard, I would go bigger. For a 120G tank I would think 40 Sump then use the 20 as a refugium. I would keep then separate just because the refugium shouldn't have all the pumps skimmers and what not. I would actually have the Ref at the same level as the tanks and gravity feed back to the sump. Seems to work for most.

J

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

"Jakets"

Ok, understand two tanks...larger for sump, smaller for refugium.

Stand size is not adjustable, so will have to to some serious measuring to determine optimum size or each.

Again, I have "exactly" 48X24X24 "under" tank (in stand)

Will also need to insure space for AquaC EV180 Protein Skimmer (which i will be upgading to ) in sump - w/enough head room in stand cabinet.

eventually going to need "diagram" of "plumbing" between two...do not understand how works with just a "gravity" feed back to sump --- are main tank overflows going to refugium first - then gravity flow over over to sump?.

This is going to be fun! --- want to make trip south to join in when time comes to put all together? --- whole adventure of new tank setup and "migration" is filling all spare imagination time -

Omar