How to Make a Goldfish Live for Decades

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I stumbled on this how to for goldfish and thought it was so good I added a goldfish forum. :) Maybe it will help some newbie goldfish keepers out there.

"Believe it or not, a goldfish should live for 10 to 25 years or longer if it's given the proper care. The Guinness Book of World Records cites a goldfish named Tish that lived 43 years after being won at a fair in England in 1956! Here's how to help your scaly companion survive into the "golden years.""

How to Make a Goldfish Live for Decades - WikiHow

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

The world record Koi was 275 years old!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

WHOA! I am assuming that was not in captivity. ;) ;D

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

It was in the magazine "Tropical Fish Hobbyist". The fish's name was Hanuko or something like that. It was in northern Japan in a captive Koi pond. This guy marries into this family. They leave him and his wife the house. The only condition set forth by the Grandmother leaving the house was you had to take care of the Koi pond. The 86 year old woman said the fish had been in there since before she was a born and all the family seem to believe it.

OK flash forward a few years one of the big fish dies and they have its age tested. Apparently koi have a bone in there ear that grows like the ring on a tree that you can use to scientifically find how old that fish is. They tested Hanuko and he was 275 years old. Wholly Cow they start digging thru family record and to the best of there knowledge(won't know for sure until the fish dies). There is a 187, 143, 142 year old koi in the pond as well!

Koi can live a long time normally anyway but this was out of the ordinary. They were looking for a reason. I turn out that the pond in in a rural part of northern Japan getting feed by a cold and clean mountain stream. The fact they live in a clean open system means they weren't stress out by crummy water. It also turns out that the water temp barely get over 60 F during the summer and it is theorized that this slowed down there growth rates.

I could go look it up but I think that was the most of it.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Incredible. What a story! 8)