How To Kill GSP?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Puffer Chick, Dec 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

at this size, I'd definitely use kalk paste and smother it.

pickling lime is very difficult to find at the grocery store, but it is there. Look until you find big things of empty jars. This is usually off in some back corner where nobody ever goes (or so it seems to me). Once you find the empty jars, look above and next to them. I had 2 different Kroger folks helping me find it and neither could... 30 minutes later and I found it myself.

good luck. I'd recommend pasting up the rock out of the water and then putting it back in. Doesn't need to sit or anything and you will see some particles come off when you put the rock back in the water... don't worry about that.

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok thanks, lfs doesn't open until 11 so i'll probably check Ralphs first *i heard Ralphs and Kroger are the same thing* and if i still can't find it i'll go to the lfs and see if theres any kalk

i'm glad the rock that the frag rock is on is easy to get to, it's just sitting by itself and not supporting any other rocks so i'll be able to lift it out of the water. I really hope i find either the pickling lime or kalk at lfs, i saw you can buy pickling online but i don't want to wait that long, with it being gsp i worry it would double its size by the time i got the pickling lime

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so i took a look at the GSP tonight, i dont see the polyps anymore, but the matt that it came out of is still there :/ a cerith is on top of it so, could they have sucked back into the matt?

5. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

yup the polyps retract back in to the mat. its real easy to peel of the mat just grab it with tweezers and pull it off.(grab it by the edge)

6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Good luck getting rid of it... I tried a frag of it once, :( Killed it though... Woops

7. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

I didn't think you could actually kill gsp, consider yourself lucky :)

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

tweezers, thats a good idea

how did you manage to kill it, i want to know :D

10. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

When I really started with coral, I really wanted a GSP... Tried it as my 1st and failed LOL...

Wouldnt epoxy do the same to stop it from growing? if so most lfs have it.. could just try to scrape it off and epoxy over it. You can get colors to match your rockwork.

11. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

:( I was talking to the guy at the store, and then another guy was buying a turtle so of course my attention went to the turtle for a slight moment, I think i epoxied the wrong side of it cause it curled up pretty good on the car ride home.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol amazing how you failed at gsp