How To Kill GSP?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Puffer Chick, Dec 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

will do

2. Click Here!

3. weboddity

weboddity Astrea Snail

Without seeing a picture I don't know the level of ease in doing this, but can't you simply chip off the section it's growing on? Not crack the whole rock top to bottom, but just chip away the section underneath it? I have a Dremel (they're as addictive as I've read) and would just grind the section out / off, but even without that option I would get a carbide hacksaw blade or nut-cracker or screwdriver-and-hammer and get rid of the surface it's attached to. Considering how small the GSP area sounds, it really sounds feasible.

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

here is a pic, it's on one of my zoa rock frags it's kind of secluded by itself so if the lfs doesnt have kalk breaking it off might be an option

[​IMG]

it's grown a little bit since this pic, and it's only been two days, i'm getting really worried with how fast this thing is growing, i'm hoping to get it gone tomorrow

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I would just let it grow, when it starts picking up in pace you can always frag it up and sell it for supplies or LFS credit.

~Will.

1 person likes this.
  6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'd just rather kill it than worry about it taking over. I want my tank to be SPS dominated so i don't want to have to worry with GSP problems, even with fragging it and selling it, just not worth the trouble in my eyes

7. weboddity

weboddity Astrea Snail

Is that area concave? If so, simply chiseling may be more difficult. Do you have any tools like a Dremel? From what I see, in my own home, I would first get a rectangular Rubbermaid bin and get the rock out of the tank (to avoid spreading GSP around) and into the bin. I'd then scalpel the "purple" base material as carefully as possible in a lifting motion (not simply a cutting motion) and try to peel it away as much as possible, using tweezers if my fingers don't work well. To finish it off, I'd grab the Dremel and use a tip such as this one and grind the entire area where the GSP had been away. It should be evident based on the appearance of the rock underneath in comparison to the exposed portion, but if you're unsure just reference your picture and err on the side of caution. Then I'd rinse that baby with saltwater and stick it back where it belongs. Is that an option for you?

I've not attempted to eliminate GSP before, but this seems like a plausible solution to me. If you were worried about the grinding bit spraying GSP bits at all, you could always make a simple shield out of plastic wrap / cut paper / cut plastic bottle.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

this might be an option we do have a dremil, but i don't know if my dad would let me put it in saltwater as its his, i would worry about the corals on the frag rock, i have a bunch of zoa heads. If i can't find the kalk at the lfs this could very well be an option, because besides kalk i don't think there is really anything else that can really kill it. So this doesn't sound like it would be to hard to do, i'd just have to hope my rock frag would be able to come unglued to my main rock.

10. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

You could remove the rock and use a stiff wire brush to clean off all the gsp tissue,rinse in some tank water,in another container of course,so none is able to seed your tank,and replace the rock...done.Any hardware store or Lowes should have a suitable brush in their paint department,for paint removal.

11. weboddity

weboddity Astrea Snail

I could have been more detailed, sorry, but I would dry the area where I want to use the Dremel, wear eye protection of some sort, and use the Dremel only outside of the water and with the rock area the GSP had been as dry as possible to avoid saltwater getting all over the Dremel. I'd also follow up the process by wiping down the Dremel and bit with a cloth wet with tap water, and rinse the bit under the tap to try to get the porous bit clean. Again, this is just what I would do, and I'm not an expert, but I have seen enough fragging videos, and had corals / Zoos out of the water enough, to convince me that the Zoos would be okay out of the water during the time frame that you're doing this. Perhaps your dad would lend his abilities with a Dremel to help you do this without worrying about messing up his Dremel?

Whatever route you take, best wishes! I know you'll get those suckers out of there.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thanks, i might just have to do this if no kalk, i haven't heard of any other way so this will be plan b