how to keep 5 fish in 10 gallon saltwater tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by KLStokes, Jan 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Just curious, did a LFS tell you it was OK to have all those fish in there? Did they ask any questions about your set-up or how long it has been established?? Or did they just say "here's a bunch of fish, see ya later" :-/

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

yea.. thats what i meant exactly on how some lfs just sell things without regard of the livestock. by judging on how you got 5 fish almost at once im guessing your LFS might not be the best around. IMO i would search for a better LFS until you do a bit more research. not trying to be rude but if you want to be successful in this hobby you need to take it slow.

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i have a 29 gallon and have the never ending cyano and GHA problems with it. your tank would be overrun by cyano and GHA not to mention the other types of algae in a few weeks to a month. the fish would die one by one leaving you asking questions to the lfs, which by the way doesnt sound very trustworthy if they know you have a 10 gal and selling you all these fish, who would recomend this product and this one which would leave you in even worse shape then before.
    but my friend there is hope, if you return or give to another local saltwater tank enthusiast your fish to keep (except for 1-2 MAX) and let the cycle go through. you will need around 20 lbs of live rock or base rock, go with base it is much cheaper asn will turn to live in months at most. then you can decide if you want to have 1-2 fish MAX with coral or just coral. or no coral. this is you decision, not mine. you should also invest in a skimmer. this is my main problem, not having one. then you should be well on your way after a month or two at least for the cycle to add fish.
    the hard truth my friend is that if you keep all those fish in a little tank they will massacre the weak killing themselves slowly with the abundant waste from their detritus.
    but good luck.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  5. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

That's not being rude at all, that's just being a good person. A fish store is a business, and most of them are just going to try and make a sale. There are a few who get into the business to try and help people enjoy the hobby, they will most likely ask you questions about your set-up, tanks age, and when you get into corals they might even ask about your parameters and lighting, those are the LFS's you want to give as much business too as possible. The greedy one's will sell you a 10 foot shark without a single question asked and say "have fun with your new pet", those are the one's you will want to stay away from.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I don't know if this is a real post any more. The OP or somebody with the same tank and fish created a new acccount "Jenny" and started a new thread with the same pic that was used for this thread. That pic was deleted when the OP edited the thread. I dont' now if this is real or somebody just wasting their time trying to get a good laugh.

1 person likes this.
  7. slocal

slocal Doot!

I blame Steve Wright :p

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

lol um ok....... did i miss something??

10. slocal

slocal Doot!

::)