how to increase nitrates

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Dingo, May 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Just to let you know macro ships well via USPS prioirty mail (2-3day mail) and that's cheap.
    BTW I could use some as well since my pig of a Flame Angel has consumed most of my ulva and gracelaria.

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

good info powerman! i actually just bought a new octo 150 for my dads 55 gallon lol

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

well now that it has come up... i would be willing to take some extra macros off of Incognito's hands if he/she is up for it ;)

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Dingo, ive read a TON of threads on chemistry and what not. The best way is to through a sponge in your sump and leave it. This way you dont have to worry about chemiclas. KNO3 dosing never ends well corals hate it. Increase feedings slightly and drop a bonus sponge factory in the dark. Or better yet put it in your fuge and once a week shake i in your DT for extra pods

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

so im assuming you mean sponge as in the product type and not the organism type?
    maybe ill throw one in there to see what happens ;)

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

yeah, like an overflow sponge. People who do these big chem threads already feed what they want to feed, but their sps drop color because contrary to the popular newbie sps advice 0-no3 and 0-po4 are not pro. Undetectable is a different story. If you are looking to get more nutrients for macros in the tank feeding more might be a better bet though, keeps your fish happy! The sponge is a tool for people who are making a very minor tweak for optimal SPS color paramteres, but i like it because you can take it out if nusiance algeas begin for apper in about 15 seconds.

1 person likes this.