How To Get Rid Of Mushrooms ?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Foodog, Jul 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Foodog

Foodog Plankton

My 75 gal is getting over ran with mushrooms and they are beginning to kill zoanthids and anything else that gets in their way. I've tried Joe's Juice but they come right back. Yesterday I bought some dry ice and used a pair of tongs to hold the ice up against the mushrooms. It made one heck of a show and all the bubbling scared my fish and made a spectacular fog show across the top of my tank but didn't seem to bother the mushrooms. Took a 60CC syringe and a piece of air hose which I stiffened with a piece of heavy wire and tried squirting boiling water on the mushrooms. My halides just came on and the mushrooms seem not to have suffered any ill effects from the hot water. Are these things indestructible?

My tank is well established and coral growths on all the rocks precludes taking rocks out of the tank without killing desirable stuff. Trying to cut the mushrooms off is a bit impractical as it is near impossible to detach the whole mushroom and some will be left which will regrow. I tried a Chocolate Chip star and I think he may have eaten one or two mushrooms before my Harlequin got him. I really do need some help getting these pests out of my tank.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

you can send them to me!!;D In reality they pretty much have to be scraped off the rock,but even then anything left will regrow usually

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

What about Kalk paste? Cut them off and then cover the spot with Kalk paste.

5. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

OMG, I wish I were in your shoes. I want my mushrooms to start to spread. Let alone even get my hands on some red shrooms. If I were living in the US, I'd come over and start scraping all of those shrooms and leaving at my heart's content.
    All jokes aside, the kalk paste on the stubs after you cut them off might work best. don't throw them out though keep em and trade I'm sure you would get some folks willing to trade for some nice corals that you don't have just yet.

Your tank looks really nice with all those zoas and shrooms tho. Your purple wall at the back is also quite appealing;)

6. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

get your LFS guy to come over and they will buy them from you. i am sure you could get a couple hundred bucks off all those mushrooms!!!

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great looking tank and welcome to 3reef.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef! Good looking tank and hope you get your shrooms under control.

10. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I have the exact same problem ... with red shrooms as well ... they are growing at an unbelievable pace ... I can't contain them.

I've been using a syringe and killing off a few each day with vinegar ... it seems to be working ... stab them right in the mouth, and pump full of vinegar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. aquariaman

"it seems to be working ... stab them right in the mouth, and pump full of vinegar" i just cracked up and fell to the floor with this..... yea, i think that will do it :) lol people these days.... they will do anything for their fish tank!! :)

12. aquariaman

gotta give you some karma for that one!! :)