how to get rid of Cyano

Discussion in 'Algae' started by pinkypictures, Apr 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chinita

chinita Astrea Snail

I get rid of mine by using RO/DI water.

2. Click Here!

3. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

4. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

Where on Earth do you find medium-low flow areas for softies with that kind of flow? I have only about 22x flow and still have a hard time.

Interestingly enough (keeping it on topic) I am getting just a touch of Cyano (my first, I'm so proud) in one of the highest flow areas in the tank!

I have zero PO4 (I run a reactor) and only about 1ppm nitrate. Go figure.

5. chinita

chinita Astrea Snail

I used to have a cyano problem, and change the water 2 times every week and used tap water. That didn't solve it. In fact after removing some of the algae, the algae grow back within 1 day. So I figure it must be the tap water I'm using since I only have 4 small fish in a 65g tank and been running for a year already. So, I bought an economy RO/DI system from bulkreefsupply and after two weeks of using it, the algae stop growing.

6. pinkypictures

pinkypictures Plankton

Yes i am using RO water and the LFS checked all kinds of water test on my tank and said everything is fine. i might just need more flow so there is another thing i fun into what pump to get..

7. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Not to put a downer on the high flow idea but i added a very strong flow with a tunze & it still grew just not in the direct spot it was pointed at! here are some pic................. the answer really is to get rid off all the food that fueling it. If the fuel is there it will grow no matter what flow you chuck at it!

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

get your nitrates and phosphates under control get a bundle of Cheato and that should do it. Cheato will help alot with your nitrates....I used Chemi-Clean and it with the CHeato took care of my problem....nitrates 0 havent had any signs of it in weeks now....
    Danny

10. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

I've read Cyno or Red slime due to nutrient accumulation, all of these could help cure it our lack of could be part of the cause;

1) better skimming
    2) better flow within tank
    3) better water turnover
    4) carbon usage
    5) vodka usage
    6) bacterial culture addition
    7) decrease feeding
    8) increase water changes
    9) decrease photoperiod
    10) change bulbs

I ended up buying Red Slime Control its made by Blue Life-you can google the name. I've tried diiferent products the Blue Life works best. You cant use your protien skimmer or carbon or ozone while treating with it.
    I found mine was more light related, longer photo period as well as ambient light from the front picture window.

If you have a picture that always helps to be certain.

Good Luck!

11. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

algae in our tanks is like obesity in our current generation. You continue to feed it, it'll grow and sustain. If you exercise (or do water changes and practice good husbandry), it'll go away. Instant fixes like red slimer remover work about as well as that "lose 100 lbs in 1 week diet program"... It comes back, just as quick as it left.
    You need to find a good weekly maintenance routine, one that you can follow religiously, where the algae leaves on its own... then and only then will you know that you will have a long-standing algae free beautiful aquarium.

12. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Excess nutrients=cyano, which is a bacteria, and essentially a bacterial imbalance in the tank. All the things mentioned above like proper flow, and reducing feeding, and photoperiod will help, but you need to bring the bacterial balance back to your tank. I have had incredible success with "Microbe-Lift Special Blend'. It is a natural way to bring the balance back as opposed to using harsh chemicals.