how to get purple algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Mkizla, Jun 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Explian to me exactly how this bottle "throws your paramaters out of wack"? Id like to hear this.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

For me the biggest worry would be the iodine in it, I don't know how much is in it, but iodine can be some nasty stuff dosed willy nilly.

But its probably harmless if you follow the directions and do water changes.

4. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Actually I will just drop this argument. It is pointless. I have learned from this that it may not be a choice for everyone. Although I have not seen one solid piece of evidence to show me why this product hurts (Other than "it throws your parameters out of wack) I knoow for a fact it has not thrown anyof my paramters out of wack. So to each is own. No arguments here.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well besides the iodine I doubt anything else in the bottle will hurt your tank, assuming you don't dump the whole bottle in it.

6. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

This thread has provided the full spectrum as to coralline growth – as to the product PurpleUp I can only offer this. Anyone being around aquariums will tell you that you should NEVER add anything to your tank you can not test for. PurpleUp does not tell you what is in it, calcium, magnesium, strontium, Iodine? Your guess is as good as mine.

If you are looking for coralline algae do regular water changes, keep your magnesium up (I suggest Epsom salts and a test kit), keep your calcium up and test it, does strontium and test it. That will do it – and you will be adding nothing to your tank that you are unaware of and unable or unaware to test for. Peace.

7. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

a piece of rock with coralline on it, lighting, water circulation, regular water changes. a protein skimmer would help. coralline likes stability. good husbandry in your tank will allow the algae to take off.

8. Click Here!

9. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

I
    LOVE
    PURPLE
    UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

So does he!

[​IMG]

Ya, look at that. He's doin the happy dance for purple up!!

Purple panties?!?!?!?!

Sure, we got em!

[​IMG]

You guys are crazy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

STEVE!!!!!!!! Leave my panties alone......... :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh my god that is wrong :lol: :lol:

2 people like this.
  10. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I don't know why everything is 'without a doubt' and 'for a fact' but again, you do not know that for a fact. You can't. You don't know what you dosed by using it. So you don't know what you needed to test for. So you can't know that.

It's not a matter of proving it hurts. That's like proving bigfoot doesn't exist. You can't. Nobody is saying it's harmful. We're saying you can't show that it actually helps. Like you can't find bigfoot.

It took my tank (and each is different) less than 9 months to completely shroud the back. Solid covering. Never used anything to do that. Just happened. (I did maintain reef level params)

But, if I had used Purple Up, I could very well be on that band wagon claiming it helped... I wouldn't know any different. That's the point. And that's snake oil. Maybe it would've taken 8 months, maybe 10... who knows.

It's pointless to look for proof it doesn't work... find proof it does. They have nothing backing up their claim, why are you putting the onus on us to prove anything?

12. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

OK dude. Like I said no arguments.

1 person likes this.