How to frag red tree sponge

Discussion in 'Frags' started by IndianRiverRob, Jul 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IndianRiverRob

IndianRiverRob Astrea Snail

I am looking for some information on how to frag a tree sponge that is getting to big for its tank. I have heard that it is easy as long as it is kept under water the whole time. Any information please, thanks rob.

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

That probably would be a good idea, to keep it under the water at all times. You might want to do this in a container or tank water. I've never done it(frag a tree, did my toadstool) before, but it can't be too hard to do. Do you have a sharp cutting tool? I'd say make sure it is sterile first(the cutting tool).. metal cuticle nips should work. boil them in water for about 5 minutes and let them cool in the water. then take them out wearing gloves, like latex(unless you're allergic), then, when it is cooled off, take the tree, in the container of tank water and snip one branch off. use some superglue gel and put it onto a frag plug. keeping it under the water. then put it back into the tank. I searched it on the web and didn't come up with anything on how to frag it. try with just one branch and wait for a few days to see how it does and if it['s ok then do more of it. I'd only do one frag at a time, as to not put it into shock too bad....

anyone else?

4. orchids&coral

orchids&coral Plankton

I have a good size red tree sponge also. LFS told me to never let the air hit it or whatever part was exposed will die. When they bagged it there was no air in it just water. I've never thought about fragging it though.

5. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I've heard they can be fragged - just cut off a piece underwater and glue to a plug. This sounds crazy, but I even saw somewhere where you could take a piece out in water, dump into a blender, grind up, toss back in tank, and the pieces would attach to rock and form new sponges. I'm not quite ready to try that one....I have thought about cutting off a bit of my orange tree sponge - it's pretty tall.

6. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

You can easily frag your sponge, as it has been said keep it underwater. First thing to do is check your water, you will need pristine water before you begin.

I prefer a razor blade for a clean cut. Sponges are groups of cells so there is no bad place to cut. But don’t take off more than you need to. And try to handle your new frag with care, easy on the finger pressure etc. Have your new frag rock ready and glue or tie and you are all set. Take some pictures as you go and post a thread in about a month showing the entire process from frag through new growth. Good luck !