How to frag Kenya tree

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Kelley11, Mar 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

I have a Kenya tree on a plug with (4) stalks. I need to move two of the smaller one and want to know if anyone has suggestions on what to do? I was going to:

1) Cut Kenya tree at plug using a sharp razor.
    2) Place in small bowl with water.
    3) Insert sharp toothpick
    4) Wrap around rock using rubber band and toothpick
    5) Back in the tank.

Does this sound correct? I want to minimize any stress I can to the coral. The reason for the move is two stalks are huge and blocking the light from the other two and they are not looking good.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Yup, that's exactly the way to go about it. IME Kenyas are super hardy so you should be good. Mine's been growing way to big lately and I dont have the heart to just chuck it so it might be making a trip to my LFS for some credit. We'll see.. Just a couple months ago I did some cleaning up in the tank and removed probably over 2 dozen little frags that have floated around my tank and stuck to rocks and snails. I'm still seeing them pop up all over the place.

Good luck with the frag, should go smoothly enough!

4. Kelley11

Thank you, appreciate the confirmation :)

5. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Yeah that's how you do it.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the light blocking the other pieces, they should adapt.
    My Kenya right now is huge and I'm desperately waiting for it to propagate itself and so are a good few of my reefer friends.

6. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

IME, toothpick is bad idea and will cause unnecessary stress. Place the frag in a short glass with rock rubbles. It will attach to a rock in a few days. Easy and simple.

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

You can also rip the coral from the base and move the entire coral. What's left behind will grow another just like the other one. Nothing to it, grab the base and rip it off. There will be a thin laver leftover that will grow quickly. Kenya can be invasive IME. Look ast it wrtong or piss it off and it will drop buds. Same with bad water quality, it will do some johnny appleseed on you.

8. Click Here!

9. Kelley11

These stalks are about 4-6 inches each, do you just leave the shot glass in the tank covering the top with netting? I am assuming I would use a larger glass based on the size.

I have never had it drop stalks on its own, seems very happy (except for the two smaller stalks).

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Tooth pick work fine, hell you could use a 16 penny galv nail and that stuff would still grow. I have use the tooth pick so many time on leathers and never once had an issue.

11. Melba

Melba Plankton

Decorator crab & Kenya

My decorator crab is always fragging my Kenya trees. I find bits and pieces all over. I just stick them in the sand and plant them like a tree.

Oddly enough, he doesn't wear the Kenya...just likes to frag them.

12. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

oh my god this frag is a pain in my ass, it will drop buds all over you tank, wish I never had it!