How to frag a trach in half?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by JMALACHI, Dec 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

So i googled on how to do the iodine dips and I found this very detailed DIY Iodine Dip directions that sounds good to me.

DIY SPS Iodine (Iodide) Dip (nudi's, ect.) - Reef-Geeks

DIY SPS Iodine (Iodide) Dip (nudi's, ect.)
    I found montipora eating nudibranchs on my beloved sunset montipora one day and was FREAKING out trying to find a DIY Iodine (or Iodide) dip so I could quickly kill the buggers. Chris (chris&barb) helped point me to a site that had some info.

This ratio and time period worked great for me, your mileage may vary. All the polyps returned to about normal extension over night and mostly all of them were back to normal within 20 minutes.

I've also doubled the dosage on one frag and its polyps didn't return to normal extension until the next morning, but the frag turned out fine.

This recipe is using "Iodides Tincture (decolored Iodine) U.S.P. 45% Alcohol".

Items needed:
    Iodine Tincture from local pharmacy (Rite-Aid, Happy Harry's, ect.)
    Dropper
    Timer
    Container that can hold around 2 L (fill to 1 L)
    Smaller rinse container
    Frags to dip
    Saltwater from frags aquarium
    Solution Ratio:
    15 drops of Iodine to 1 quart (~1 liter) of tank water

Procedure (Long):
    Get a bottle of Iodine Tincture from your local pharmacy (Rite-Aid), they might look at you funny
    because I'm pretty sure it is an ingredient for making meth, but we won't get into that. Take a quart (about a liter) of tank water and place it into a container. Make sure your container can hold a little bit more so you don't splash it all out when putting in the frags.

Take a standard dropper and fill it with your iodine and drip in about 15-20 drips into the quart of tank water. Place your frags to be dipped into the container. I like to do them one by one and swirl them around a little to make sure the iodine solution gets in all the nooks and crannies. Start your timer for 15 minutes.

Fill another much smaller container with tank water. This is just used to rinse the frags after their dip to keep excess iodine from entering your tank. I like to wait about 5-10 minutes to do this so this containers temp is somewhere in between that of the tank and dip container, but that isn't necessary.

After 15 minutes have passed take your frags give them another swirl, move them to the rinse container, give another swirl and they are clear to go back into your tank.

Depending on the pest you are trying to rid you should also consider repeating the procedure a week later as the dip probably won't kill the eggs of the pest.

Procedure (Quick):
    Fill container with 1 quart TANK water
    Drip 15-20 drips of Iodine
    Add frags and let sit for 15 minutes
    Rinse frags in separate tank water container
    Repeat 1 week later

Feel free to play with the dip time and concentration, but the above has worked for me to kill nudibranchs and hasn't hurt the corals (as far as I can tell). I hope this helps someone out in their time of need or better yet, don't be like me, quarantine!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That works well as a dip after fragging and to help with healing. I think that is the same procedure I found.

4. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

Awesome! Well I've started and have 7 min till the first dip is done and then I'll make an attempt to frag it safely and try not to cut off any fingers. I have some gaming to do tonight.
    Here's a pic of the lab..aka..kitchen table.
    [​IMG]
    And the trach bathing
    [​IMG]
    And me bored waiting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Love Should NEVA Be Limited©
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

WoW loser.

Good luck. Looking at the trachy, I probably would have said screw it. What's the worst that can happen, right?

6. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

You're jealous! With it probably doing this bad, it's worth attempting the frag at least for practice.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Hope you succeed.

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Good luck, but you I see you're missing one thing, the cold glass of milk :).

10. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

Thanks and that was fun!

Ok. So now it's cut in half and taking another iodine dip. Almost debating on splitting the half. I figure I'll let it sit in the bath for another 5-10 before i give it a fresh water dip for another 5-10. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

Love Should NEVA Be Limited©
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

Thanks! Me too. Especially since this had to happen to one of my favorite additions.

12. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

Thanks..LOL. It did make it since I realized I didn't have it for the Oreos. haha