how to feed my anemones?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Atmos, Apr 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

becareful as other anemones will eat fish stupid enough to wonder into them, mandarins are a common one, really most sand dwellers have a good chance of being eating(well better then most fish).

i would take the sand star back as they need a really large tank to survive with out supplemental feedings. around 70 gallons.
    even then it would be more detrimental to eat all the micro critters in the tank

2. Click Here!

3. Atmos

Atmos Astrea Snail

the sand star got completely eaten. lets just say it was an expensive meal for my tank...

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Anemones need to have meaty foods to "feed" the zooxanthellae in their tissues. In the wild, they catch unsuspecting fish that wander into their tentacles. If they don't get fed, they will expel their zooxanthellae, which will lead to bleaching. I feed my anemone a small portion of silverside (1/4" piece). I used to feed it daily when it had bleached due to change in lighting. It has since recovered from that and it eats once or twice a week. I watch it, it tells me when it is hungry; their mouths will pucker when they want to eat.

5. Atmos

Atmos Astrea Snail

what do you mean by pucker?
    close together outside of their body or inside? do you have a pic of this?

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer