how to do a sump?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by homyg30, Dec 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. homyg30

homyg30 Feather Duster

hey i was thinking about starting a 10 gallon fish only system for now then getting som LEDs and getting a reef going. but i would like to have more water volume for my levels to be more stable and was wondering how to do a sump. what i dont get is drilling the tank the right size and trying to figure out the return pump. i dont get how you can get them both the same so you dont empty the sump and have your sump water on the ground around the tank. do you add a ball valvle on the return pipe and dial it in that way or how is it done? sorry if this is a dumb question i just cant wrap my mind around how all this woks! all ive had are all in one systems. maybe i should just get a biocube or something along those lines.

2. Click Here!

3. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

It's actually fairly simple, though I had no clue either until someone told me. Basically, what you need is an overflow at rating of ### GPH and a return pump that is lower than that. So if you have a 700gph overflow, you need to ensure that your return is under 700gph, though you should shoot for about 5-10x your sump volume for the return, after you subtract for the height of the return.

The reason is that the overflow works on gravity. You have just enough water volume in your tank/ sump, that as the return pump pushes the water back into the display, it causes the water height to rise and "overflow" and go back to the sump.

As water evaporates, you will notice that your DT water height never decreases, but rather the lowest portion of your sump will lose water and if you don't top it off it will run dry and burn out your return pump. The good side to this is that you should never have a problem with too much water going down to the sump and overflowing

4. homyg30

homyg30 Feather Duster

ok so if i was just going to drill a hole in my tank and make a make **** oerflow bo out of plexyglass how could i do that?

5. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

+1 the bigger the better and to be honest, I have a 12g nanocube that I love. IMO it isn't worth the hassle to do a sump for a 10g, but thats just my 2 cents and would be happy to help you with questions if that is what you are set on doing.

For an overflow, I would get a glass-holes nano overflow, rather than make one yourself, since it would be a lot easier and you don't have to worry about having issues with it. I have a 700gph with the 40g breeder I am setting up.

If you want to make one, look at the box that glass-holes sells and mimic their design. I would also do a bit of research about how to drill a tank before trying it so you dont end up cracking it.

7. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Altho I'm admittedly not a fan of "beans", don't you think that's a bit complicated for a simple 10 gal setup?

To the OP...what's your motivation for keeping such a small setup as a first try? If it's footprint, look into an 18T (AKA 20XT)...they have the same footprint as a 10 gal, but are like two 10 gals stacked on top of each other, so you'll have more volume. You can run it with a simple HOB filter and your problem of volume is solved (you'll also have more room in the tank).

JMHO...

8. Click Here!

9. SeymourDuncan

SeymourDuncan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Smaller is harder to keep stable. Evap will be more dramatic. Dosing will be by the drop. Inhabitants are very limited.

A sump would be better that not having one period. I don't see why you wouldn't want one. Especially on a tank that small. When I had an 8 gallon bio cube I plumbed it into my 125gallons sump.

10. SeymourDuncan

SeymourDuncan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Think of it this way. Would you rather drink a cup of urine mixed in 10 gallons of water or 20? Neither but 20 is safer

11. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

It's still good to have flood fail safes imo, especially if in an upper floor apartment. A few gallons flooded could show up and then they make you get rid of the tank...

Also, it still talks a lot about how a sump system in general works.

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Marc has probably the best article on sumps for beginners here:
    Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

I don't care for the bean either, why complicate something so simple? I've been using a simple home made Stockman standpipe on my 100G for over 9 years now and never ever had a problem with it.