How to ditch this stuff!?!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Biocube, Feb 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jcoreyblack

jcoreyblack Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'll have to put this in my "may need in the future" list. lol

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

4. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

If you do not have hard corals, turn all the lights off for 3 days. If there is a window or door close by, shade your tank from the light. Your soft corals will survive but your hair algae will die. I am not a big fan of chemicals in my tank, I prefer more natural methods when possible. Worked for me in my 55 gallon!

5. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

My red mithrax crab destroyed all my green hair algea. As soon as I but him in he got to work and within a week no more green hair algea. And the best part is I have not seen any of it in my tank since. Amazing little critters

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

emerald crabs will eat it, but mine is very lazy and only eats coralline and other small stuff, i dont know how it survives lol. astrea snails and ceriths snails will slowly nibble at it.

a flametail blenny Will eat and pick it away but it may take some time.

to eradicate my GHA issues I used an old tooth brush, scraped as much algae away as I could, then I did a 15% WC. I had to do this for maybe 2 or 3 months but now all my rocks are purple and beautiful and I have no signs of algae growth anywhere in my DT, only algae i have now is some cyano on my Fuge glass which will be taken care of once I add more cerith snails

also in your pic is that a condy anemone hosting two occy clowns? i got rid of my condy because it was too big and i heard it will not host a clown due to it being an atlantic anemone and clowns are indo-pacific

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

The BTA is hosting and the mini maxi is just for looks.

I'll try your tips. :)

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

An emerald crab that eats corailline? In my experience astrea and ceriths are good members of the clean up crew but focus mostly on film algaes. Especially on the glass. The longer hair algae is too big for them to consume. The rainsford goby you just got will be helpful as they almost exclusively eat filamentous algae. Emeralds are not always reefsafe as well. I had 2 or 3 of them go rouge on me and eat my LPS corals.... Little SOBs...... IMHO I would think twice before adding anything to treat the alge chemical wise. There is no cure all for GHA that doesnt affect something else in your tank. If someone invented one they would be rolling in the cash right now. Once your fuge starts to mature, your goby picks at the GHA a bit, and your levels stabilize it should go away. You could also run GFO. We were planning on building reactors anyway, mine as well build a GFO reactor for your Cadillac cube. ::) ;D

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Haha thanks Norg! The goby only swims 1 inch above the sand. I added a few blue legs from Reefs2Go and two of the 8 are eating the GHA. I had no idea they ate that stuff or maybe they are some other type of hermit.

The Fuge is looking good, not really dirty at all tho. It's been almost a month and it looks clean. My Nitrate/Rites are at 0 and Phos is still at 0.

We need to make that GFO reactor when you get back!! I'm working 6 days a week this entire month so maybe next month will work.

12. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Maybe the goby will venture towards the top of the tank eventually when his food source at the bottom starts to dwindle. Blue legged hermits will eat some GHA. Really depends on what other food is in the tank though. They are opportunistic and IME prefer meaty foods if available. Thats weird that your fuge is so clean. My guess is your lighting isnt as conducive for algae growth as a 6500K CFL bulb is. But Im not totally sure on that. Next month sounds great for building the reactors! Im always looking for a new project. Haha.