How to catch a sexy

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Magnett2, Jul 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have been target feeding small chunks of raw shrimp like twice a day. They never ever wanted to eat but now they are pigs just like the cleaner. Except for the bad one. It will not eat anything I give it. It's just evil, constantly perched on my Sps eating huge chunks of flesh. The other sexys stay together always by the frogspawn and they just wait to be fed. This evil one is never with the group. It's just not a good one. I need to get it out seriously. Has anyone ever caught one or is there a method (besides a teardown) that has worked?

2. Click Here!

3. Magnett2

The only thing is that all my other animals are gunna get trapped, ugh. What a pain. Oh btw, my harlequins (pair of males) eat table shrimp? Wth. It came out during sexy spot feeding time so I just put it by it and it snatched it up and ate right away. Strange

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Cannibals!

5. Magnett2

Yeah. They all are really! But I thought they only eat stars?

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I'm not sure. I've heard of them eating other things too.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

The problem with keeping animals, and free-ranging crustaceans in particular, is that you can never be certain what one will do. I once put 3 sally lightfoot crabs in a 55g GHA forest I was trying to get under control. After just a couple months in the tank, one of them cannibalized his two counterparts, killed and ate my cleaner shrimp, then proceeded to catch my fish at night while they were sleeping. I had to tear the tank apart to get him out.

EDIT: And yes, I did try to trap him... kept catching everything else.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

10. Magnett2

I dont think that would work. They never come away from their hiding places. I just dont know what to do. Every morning I wake up to find a new coral being eaten. They are now getting fed 3xdaily and its not doing anything. I did get the evil one to eat several times but it still seems to prefer my coral. This is horrible.

11. Magnett2

Any innovative ideas? I guess I could by something that will destroy them but that would be a huge waste

12. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

man that sucks, I remember when Im half black angel was terrorizing my corals it took FOREVER to catch... I used a 2 liter bottle.. Idk how to catch the shrimp.. im sorry :(