how to care for a naso or blonde tang

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by rlman41299, Aug 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

must have had some serious self esteem issues . . . .

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I hadn't seen how many tangs you have. I highly suggest not making another attempt. To begin with a 135 is pushing it size wise for a naso, they get huge! Second, with 5+ tangs in there, that is really pushing it already. Why don't you consider trading in a fish or two, then attempting another naso? IMO, it's very irresponsible of you to make another attempt after 4 failed attempts and with that many fish already.

4. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

just for a comperison i am only puting 4 tangs in a 150 tall and its going to have alot of swimmimg room and i still think that is kinda pushing it

5. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

that is my plan. i have a 55g on the side to transfer the hippo and the kole tang. so maybe the blonde will survive. crossing my fingers. i know it's small for the tangs but it's temporary 'till i get a bigger tank.

6. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

Nasos are notorious for this. Its not you, they are a very hard fish to get going in your tank but once they start eating they are very resilient. Many people have a favorite fish they cannot keep. I love leopard wrasses but have had no luck with them. Its just part of the hobby.

7. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

took all your advice. instead i will just plumb my newly built sump to the tank. i have found someone to adopt my kole and clown tang:). i have to give up two to get one. i guess it comes with the hobby. thank you all

8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Naso's around the 3-7" range are best IME, for getting them to eat, make sure you know the fish is eating when you buy it. Dont be shy to ask them to feed the fish if its at the pet store. Any dealer with any reputation will do this when asked.

Even if the naso is grazing on nori/lettuce at the LFS, see if you can find one that is eating flakes, pellets or frozen food. This will up your chances of success even further.

If you are ordering online try to find a dealer that you know what your getting is eating well and such.

Best of luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

IMO get rid of the sailfin tang. we know its your favorite fish, but you have to be fair to it. i would say 3 tangs is max for a 130. but really dont get another naso/blonde naso for a bit.

11. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

Try giving it Julian Sprungs Purple Seaweed its the only thing my Whitecheek Tang would eat at first, now he eats everthing

12. scooter-2505

scooter-2505 Fire Worm

i've had my naso for probably 5 months now and all he will touch is the dried seaweed. my scopas tang will eat everything. naso is doing great though, but seriously give it a rest and if you can remove a few fish; try again later. ordered my tangs from liveaquaria and everything is great as usual. before i tried 3 to 4 yellow tangs with no luck this time i tried the scopas basically the same fish and have had no problems. i introduced both tangs at the same time though.